Written English Proficiency is required for admission to any PTEP at UNC. Unofficial transcripts or test results can be used as evidence of meeting the requirements.
Written English Proficiency
- Can be met with a "B" or better from Liberal Arts Core areas 1a or b, OR
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP); English Composition Exam.
- Contact Career Services to schedule an exam.
Oral English Proficiency
(Math education, Physical Education, Elementary Postbac and Special Ed Generalist only)
- "C" or better in COMM 100 and COMM 103; OR
- Oral proficiency exam is offered by the School of Communication Studies from September to May.
Students without an extensive background in public speaking are highly encouraged to enroll in COMM 100/COMM 103. The Exam is very difficult to pass, and it is intended for people with substantial professional experience with public speaking.