Huang, Jingzi (Ginny)
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
- Ph. D., Curriculum and Instruction in Second Language Education. 1996, Center for the Studies of Curriculum and Instruction, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- MA, English Education and English as a Second Language Education. 1991,
- Language Education Department, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- MEd, English as a Foreign Language Education. 1987, Foreign Language Department, Beijing Normal University, China.
- BA, English Literature. 1984, Foreign Language Department, Beijing Normal University, China.
- Huang, J. & Normandia, B. (2009). Talking and Writing Math - A students' perspective in a secondary math class. The International Journal of Learning 16 (5), 1-21.
- Huang, J. & Mohan, B. (2009). A Functional Approach to Integrated Assessment of Teacher Support and Student Discourse Development in an Elementary Chinese Program. Linguistics and Education 20, pp. 22-38.
- Huang, J. & Normandia, B. (2008). Linguistic Resource as Cues Signaling Conceptual Knowledge Crucial for Solving Word Problems. In Nina Norgaard, (Ed.) Systemic Functional Linguistics in Use: Odense Working Papers in Language and Communication, 29, pp. 400 – 419.
- Huang, J. & Barrea-Marlys, M. (2008). Gains and Challenges in the National Accreditation Process: A Case Study. International Journal of Learning 15 (8), pp. 57- 64.
- Huang, J. & Normandia, B. (2008). Comprehending and Solving Word Problems in Mathematics: Beyond Key Words. In Z. Fang & M. Schleppegrell, (Ed.), Language and Reading in Content Areas: Toward a Linguistically Informed Secondary Reading Pedagogy (pp. 64 – 83). The University of Michigan Press.
- Huang, J. & Normandia, B. (2007). Learning the language of mathematics: a study of student writing. International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 17 (3), pp. 294 – 318.
- Huang, J., Normandia, B., & Greer, S. (2005). Communicating Mathematically: Comparison of Knowledge Structures in Teacher and Student Discourse from a Secondary Math Classroom. Communication Education 54 (1), pp. 34-51.
- Huang, J. (2004). Socializing ESL Students into the Discourse of School Science through Academic Writing. Language and Education 18 (2), pp. 97-123.
- Huang, J., & Normandia, B. (2003). Talking Math: Integrating Communication and Content Learning in Math: A case study of a secondary mathematics classroom. International Journal of Learning 10, pp. 3705-3729.
- Huang, J. (2003). A Content-Based Approach to Achieving the Dual Goals of Language and Culture Learning for Young Beginners – A Case Study of an Elementary “Mandarin Chinese as a Foreign Language Program”. Language, Culture & Curriculum 16 (1), pp. 70 - 89.
- Huang, J. & Morgan, G. (2003). A Functional Approach to Evaluating Content Knowledge and Language Development in ESL Students’ Science Classification Texts. International Journal of Applied Linguistics 13, (2), pp.234-262.
- Huang, J. (2003) Activities as a Vehicle for Linguistic and Sociocultural Knowledge at the Elementary Level. Language Teaching Research 7, (2), pp. 3-33.
- Huang, J. (2002). Academic Literacy Skills and ESL Students in Regular Classrooms: What are content area teachers facing when implementing curriculum content standards? International Journal of Learning 9, pp. 1099 – 1117.
- Mohan, B. & Huang, J. (2002). Assessing the Integration of Language and Content in a Mandarin as a Foreign Language Classroom. Linguistics and Education 13, (3), 407- 35.
- Huang, J. (2000). Integration of Academic Content Learning and Academic Literacy Skills Development of L2 Students: A Case Study of an ESL Science Class. National Reading Conference Yearbook, 49, pp. 392-000.
- Huang, J. (2000). Students’ major difficulties in learning Mandarin Chinese as an additional language at the proficiency level beyond the initial stages and their coping strategies. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 440-537).