Jenni Harding-DeKam, Ed.D
Associate Professor of Elementary Education
School of Teacher Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Campus Box 107
281 McKee Hall, Greeley, CO 80639
Office phone: 970-351-1029
Research Interests and Specializations
Dr. Harding-DeKam is a former elementary school teacher and instructional technology specialist. She currently coordinates the Master’s of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Education Licensure Program working with multiple Partner Schools across Colorado. Dr. Harding-DeKam is passionate in several areas of education including mathematics instruction, quality instruction for children, improving teacher education, diversity in classrooms including ethnomathematics, culturally responsive classrooms, STEM learning for English Learners, and doctoral advising. She had been awarded the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Outstanding Advisor Award in 2012 and 2008. Dr. Harding-DeKam has earned Doctoral Research Endorsement status at UNC.
- Ed.D. Degree, University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, CO, 2005: Curriculum Studies emphasis in Mathematics with a Doctoral Minor in Applied Statistics and Research Methods
- M.A. Degree, Lesley College in Cambridge, MA, 2000: Technology in Education
- B.A. Degree, University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, CO, 1996: English with the Area of Teacher Preparation in Elementary Education
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Harding-DeKam, J.L., Reinsvold, L., Olmos, A., Song, Y., Franklin, B., Higgins, T., & Enriquez, M. (Accepted 2014). Mathematics and science teaching for English learners (MAST-EL) partnership: A relationship among elementary school teachers, pre-service teachers, principals, coaches, and college faculty. Teacher Education & Practice (Special theme issue STEM Teacher Preparation and Practice: Prepare and Inspire Students), 12(2).
- Harding-DeKam, J. L. (2013). Teaching ethnomathematics in a mathematics methods course. NASGEm News: Notices of the North American Study Group on Ethnomathematics, 6(1), 13-16.
- April 2013. J. L. Harding-DeKam. School and University Partnership: Teaching English Learners Mathematics and Science. National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM), Denver, Colorado.
- April 2013. S. Loyd, J. L. Harding-DeKam, & B. Hamilton. Multicultural Mathematics Children’s Literature Books. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), Denver, Colorado.
- Harding-DeKam, J. L., Hamilton, B., & Loyd, S. (2012). The hidden curriculum of doctoral advising. NACADA Journal, 32(2), 5-15.
- April 2012. J. L. Harding-DeKam, E. Franklin, B. Hamilton, & D. Romero. Dilemmas in assessing teacher education program quality: A qualitative case study of twelve student teachers. American Educational Research Association (AERA), Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- October 2011. J. L. Harding-DeKam. Teaching mathematics through children’s literature. Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics (CCTM), Denver, Colorado.
- February 2010. E. Franklin, J. L. Harding-DeKam, D. Romero, & B. Hamilton. Understanding what counts: A comparative study of ESL and non-ESL endorsed teacher candidates’ pedagogical practices. National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE), Denver, Colorado.
- Silver, F.L., Fertig, G. H., Harding-DeKam, J. L., & Thompson, S. C. (Fall 2009). Advancing equity and high quality mathematics education with actions drawn from ethnomathematics. Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics, 1(1), 14-17.
- April 2008. Harding-DeKam, J.L. & Barta, J. It takes a village: Teachers’ effectiveness, lesson enhancement, and ongoing assessment. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Opitz, M. F. & Harding-DeKam, J. L. (March 2007). Understanding and teaching English language learners. The Reading Teacher, 60(6), 590-593.
- Harding-DeKam, J. L. (January 2007). Foundations in ethnomathematics for prospective elementary teachers. Journal of Mathematics and Culture,2(1), 1-19.