Tom Griggs, Ph.D
Foundations of Education & Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) Education
School of Teacher Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Campus Box 107
208 McKee, Greeley, CO 80639
Office phone: 970-351-1573
Research Interests and Specializations
Teacher narrative inquiry; second language education; integration of language and content instruction in content area classrooms; second language writing instruction; the sociopolitical context of teaching and schooling; multicultural education; cross-cultural teaching and communication; mindfulness in teaching; use of acting preparation and other artistic techniques in teacher preparation; professional development for teachers working with CLD students; teacher advocacy for CLD learners; education policy analysis
- Ph. D., Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, Toronto, Canada, 1996, in Teacher Education, with a focus on Second Language and Multicultural Education
- M.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1993, in Teaching English as a Second Language
- M.Ed., University of California, Los Angeles, 1991, in Secondary Teaching
- A.B., University of California, Santa Cruz, 1975, in Theater Arts
- Griggs, T. and D. Tidwell (2012). Teaching online to effect learner change: On the challenges of teaching to foster multicultural awareness. Paper presented at Herstmonceux IX: The Fifth international Conference on Self-Study of Teacher Education Practices. East Sussex, England: Self-Study of Teacher Education Practices SIG of the American Educational Research Association.
- Brubaker, N. and Griggs, T. (2011). Critical moments in negotiating authority: Perspective of two teacher educators. Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Griggs, T. (2007). Processing the “-isms.” Presentation at Performing the World 4, Tarrytown, NY.
- Griggs, T. (2007). Presentation at the annual meeting of the Colorado Association for Bilingual Education: Denver, CO.
- Griggs, T. & Schrom, D. (2007). Presentation at the annual meeting of the Colorado Association for Bilingual Education: Denver, CO.
- Griggs, T. (2007). Actors as teachers, teachers as actors. Presentation at the 20th annual Conference of the American Alliance for Theatre & Education: Vancouver, BC.
- Lea, V. and T. Griggs (2005). Behind the mask and beneath the story: Enabling students-teachers to reflect critically on the socially constructed nature of their “normal” practice. Teacher Education Quarterly 32 (1).
- Griggs, T. (2004). What do I do now? A personal approach to developing a theme-based curriculum in an American public elementary school after 9-11-01. Paper at the Second Annual Conference of the International Conference on Teacher Education and Social Justice: San Francisco, CA.
- Griggs, T. (2004). Where does the teaching end and the research begin? Presentation at Herstmonceux V: The Fifth international Conference on Self-Study of Teacher Education Practices. East Sussex, England: Self-Study of Teacher Education Practices SIG of the American Educational Research Association.
- Griggs, T. (2001). Teaching as acting: Considering acting as epistemology and its use in teaching and teacher preparation. Teacher Education Quarterly 28(2),23-37.