Youb Kim, PH.D.
Associate Professor in Reading
311 McKee Hall
School of Teacher Education
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Research Interests and Specializations:
Literacy, ESL Reading, ESL Assessment, teacher preparation, professional development, socio-emotional development
- Ph.D. in Curriculum, Instruction, and Educational Policy, Michigan State University, 2003
- M.A. in Teaching English to the Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Michigan State University,1996
- B. S. in Child Development, Yonsei University,1984 with Minor in Education
- And Teaching Certification in Middle School Home Economics (Grades 7-9)
- Kim, Y. & Hinchey, P. (2013) Educating English language learners in an inclusive environment. New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc.
- Kim, Y., Turner, J.D., & Yazdian, L. (To be published in 2014) Looking back and moving forward: No Child Left Behind, Race to the Top, and Quality Teaching. Theory Into Practice.
- Kim, Y., Risko, V.J., Compton, D.L., Dickinson, D.K., Hundley, M.K., Jiménez, R.T., Leander, K.M., & Rowe, D.W. (Eds.) (2008). 57th Yearbook of the National Reading Conference. National Reading Conference: Oak Creek, WI.
- Rowe, D.W., Jiménez, R.T., Compton, D.L., Dickinson, D.K., Kim, Y., Leander, K.M., & Risko, V.J., (Eds.) (2007). 56th Yearbook of the National Reading Conference. National Reading Conference: Oak Creek, WI.
- Kim, Y., Jang, E., Oakley, B., Lannom, L.A. (April, 2012) Teaching English language learners in rural areas: Issues and implications for teacher education. [Commentary], Teachers College Record.
- Kim, Y. (October, 2011a). Socio-emotional development of English language learners and teacher education. [Commentary], Teachers College Record.
- Kim, Y. (2011b). Developing a model of effective English teaching for pre-service teacher education. ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED520808.
- Strauss, S. G. & Kim, Y. (November, 2011). Academic integrity, plagiarism, and ELLs. [Commentary], Teachers College Record.
- Kim, Y. (2010). Scaffolding through questions in upper elementary ESL learning. Literacy Teaching and Learning. Literacy Teaching and Learning, 15(1 & 2), 109-137.
- Kim, Y. & Pearson, P.D. (2010). Providing differentiated instruction for English language learners using questions. In P. Dam and M.T. Cowart (Eds.), Teaching English language learners: An international perspective (pp. 266-286). Texas Women’s University.
- Kim, Y., Pearson, P.D., McLellan, M., McPherson, A., & Konett, Z. (2009). Connecting language and literacy development in elementary classrooms. In. J. Coppola and E. Primas (Eds.), One classroom, many learners: Best literacy practices for today's multilingual classrooms (pp. 41-61). Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Kim, Y., Roehler, L., Pearson, P.D. (2009). Strength-based instruction for early elementary (K-3) students learning English as a Second Language (ESL). In H.R. Milner (Ed.), Diversity and Education: Teachers, Teaching, and Teacher Education (pp. 103-115). Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas Publishers.
- Kim, Y., Asbell, M.E., & McLellan, M. (2009). English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction. In C. S. Clauss-Ehlers (Ed), Encyclopedia of Cross Cultural School Psychology. Springer.
- Kim, Y. (2008). The effects of integrated language-based instruction in elementary ESL learning. The Modern Language Journal, 92 (3), 431-451.
- Kim, Y. & Turner, J.D. (2006). Creating Literacy Communities in Multicultural and Multilingual Classrooms: Lesson Learned From Two European American Elementary Teachers. In R. T. Jiménez and V. O. Pang (Eds.), Race, Ethnicity and Education: Language, Literacy and Schooling, Vol. II (pp. 219-236). Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Turner, J.D & Kim, Y. (2006). Learning about building literacy communities in multicultural and multilingual communities from effective elementary teachers. Literacy Teaching and Learning, 10(1), 21-41.
- Turner, J. D. & Kim, Y. (2003). Afterward. In P. Mason and J. S. Schumm (Eds.), Promising practices for urban reading instruction (pp. 523-530). Newark, DE: International Reading Association.
- Kim, Y., Lowenstein, K. L., Pearson, P.D., McLellan, M. (2001). A framework for conceptualizing and evaluating the contributions of written language activity in oral language development for ESL students. In J. V. Hoffman, D.L. Schallert, C. M. Fairbanks, J. Worthy, and B. Maloch (Eds.), 50th Yearbook of the National Reading Conference (pp. 333-345). Chicago, IL: National Reading Conference.
- Pearson, P. D., Vyas, S., Sensale, L. M., Kim, Y. (2001). Making our way through the assessment and accountability maze: where do we go now? The Clearing House: A Journal of Educational Research, Controversy, and Practices. Washington, D.C.: Heldref Publications. 175-182.
- Kim, Y. & Pearson, P. D. (1999). An LEP student's view of progress in the context of portfolio assessment: A case study. In T. Shanahan & F. V. Rodriguez-Brown (Eds.), 48th Yearbook of the National Reading Conference (pp. 258-265). Chicago, IL: National Reading Conference.