Margaret A. Berg, Ph.D
School of Teacher Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Campus Box 107
208 McKee, Greeley, CO 80639
Office phone: 970-351-2713
Research Interests and Specializations
Immersion and content-based language education; systemic integration of language and content; teaching English Language Learners; disciplinary discourses; quality teacher education for multilingual schools and learners; discourse analysis; Russian; anthropology and education; queer theory; Knowledge About Language and the Sydney School;
- Ph. D., University of Kansas, Lawrence, 2009: Curriculum and Instruction with a focus on Reading and Linguistics.
- Post-Graduate teacher program, University of Texas, El Paso, 2000: Secondary Licensure with focus on English, ESL, and Bilingual Education.
- United States Peace Corps, English Language Team 1, Ukraine, 1993-1995: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
- MA, University of Missouri, Kansas City, 1993: English with a focus on Writing.
- BA, University of Kansas, Lawrence, 1990: Theatre & Media Arts.
- Berg, M. (2013.) Tolerance to alliance: Deconstructing dichotomies to advocate for all students. Voices from the Middle 20(3).
- Berg, M. (2012). Teens’ explorations of gender and sexual identities in conversations about/around preferred texts. Journal of Language and Sexuality 1(1), 15-34.
- Berg, M. (Summer, 2011). Tools of systemic functional linguistics. AccELLerate! The quarterly review of the National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition, STEM issue 3(4).
- Berg, M. (2011). On the cusp of cyberspace: Adolescents’ online text use in conversation. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy 54(7), 485-493.
- Berg, M. (2010). Preparing pre-service teachers for collaboration: Professional book study in a content area literacy class. Statement: The Journal of the Colorado Language Arts Society 46(2), 19-23.
- Massengill Shaw, D., & Berg, M. (2009). Jail participants actively study words. The Journal of Correctional Education 60(2), 100-119.
- Massengill Shaw, D. & Berg, M. (2008). Effects of a Word Study intervention on spelling accuracy among low-literate adults. Adult Basic Education and Literacy Journal 2(3), 131-139.