University of Northern Colorado
School of Teacher Education
Campus Box 107
Greeley, CO 80639
- Doctor of Philosophy, Bilingual, Multicultural, and Social Foundations of Education. University
of Colorado at Boulder.
- Masters Degree, Latin American Studies, Anthropology. University of Texas at Austin.
- Bachelor of Arts, French Language and Literature. University of California at Santa
Theories of second language acquisition, sociolinguistics, history of the education
of minority language students in the U.S., methods and assessment in linguistically
diverse education, research trends in second language and literacy learning, discourse
analysis, sociocultural theories of language and literacy development, foundations
of educational research.
Director, Youth Radio and Radio Arts in the Multilingual Classroom
Research/Areas of Interest
Youth development and learning though youth media, multiliteracies and second language
learning, community-school-university collaborations for social change, Latina/o education,
sociocultural and activity theories of learning and human development, ethnographies
of communication, online versus f2f environments in CLD teacher preparation.
- Walker, D., Mahon, L., & Dray, B. (in press 2016). Can we prepare culturally and linguistically
responsive teachers online? Urban Education
- Walker, D. (2014). A Pedagogy of Powerful Communication: Youth Radio and Radio Arts in the Multilingual
Classroom. New York: Peter Lang.
- Romero, D. & Walker, D. (2010). Ethical dilemmas in representation: Engaging participative
youth. Ethnography and Education: An International Perspective (5)2, 209-227.
- Walker, D. & Romero, D. (2008). When ‘Literacy is a Bennie’: Researching Contested
Literacies in Bilingual Youth Radio. Ethnography and Education: An International Perspective, (3)3, 283-296.
- Walker, D. & Nocon, H. (2007). Boundary-crossing competence: Theoretical considerations
and educational design. Mind, Culture, and Activity: An International Journal (14)3, 178-195.
Honors and Awards
- Diversity and Equity Award, College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, University
of Northern Colorado, 2015.
- El Premio Trinidad Sánchez, Jr. for work with Latina/o youth in poetry, 2001.
- Title VII Fellowship. University of Colorado at Boulder. Support for doctoral degree
studies in bilingual education, 1998-2001.
- University Scholarship, University of Texas at Austin. Support for masters degree
work in Latin American Studies, 1989-1990.
- Graduate Fellowship, Foreign Language Area Studies (Portuguese). U.S. Dept. of Education,
University of Texas at Austin. Fellowship to develop Portuguese language and area
studies competencies, 1989-1990.
- D.D. Book Graduate Student Scholarship, University of Texas at Austin. Support for
graduate studies, 1989.
- Research Fellowship. University of Texas at Austin, 1988-1989. To conduct oral histories among the Subtiava Indians of Leon, Nicaragua, as part of
masters thesis research, 1989.