University of Northern Colorado
School of Teacher Education
Campus Box 117
Greeley, CO 80639
- Ed.D.,Teachers College, Special Education/Bilingual Columbia University Education/ESL/Teacher
- M.A., California State University Special Education Los Angeles Blind and Visually
- B.S., Florida International Special Education University
- Director of International Professional Development Programs at STE 2008-Present
- Faculty member in the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Program1995-Present
- Faculty member in the School of Special Education1993-1995
- Project Coordinator "Social Relationships of Children and Adolescents with Deaf-Blindness"
St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY 1992-1993
- Project Coordinator, Pre-service Development Program in Bilingual Special Education.
City College of New York. 1992
- Practicum Coordinator/Instructor, Program for Blind and Visually Impaired Learners,
Teachers College, Columbia University. New York, NY1990-1993
- Practicum Coordinator, Instructional Practice in Urban Settings with Families and
Infants with Disabilities, Teachers College, Columbia University. 1989-1990
- Inclusion Consultant for the Visually Impaired, Department of Defense Dependents Schools,
Wiesbaden, Germany. 1983-1989
- Bilingual Coordinator, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles, CA 1982-1983
- Teacher for the Visually Impaired, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles,
- Bilingual Teacher, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles, CA 1979-1981
Research/Areas of Interest
Comparative education; education of students who are learning English as a second
language and those who are bilingual (with and without disabilities); education of
students with low incidence disabilities; bilingualism and bilingual education; working
with families of students with disabilities; early childhood bilingualism; and second
language teaching and learning.
- Milian, M., Birnbaum, M., Cardona, B., & Nicholson, B. (2015). Personal and professional
challenges and benefits of studying abroad. Journal of International Education and Leadership, 5(1), 1-12.
- Cardona, B. , Milian, M. , Birnbaum, M. , & Blount, I. (2013). In-class and out-of
class experiences of international students in the United States. Higher Education of Social Science. 4(1), 1-9.
- Milian, M. (Fall, 2013). Emergent bilinguals with visual impairments: Guidelines for
instruction. DVI Quarterly, 58(2), 26-33. http://DVI.uberflip.com/i/216471
- Birnbaum, M., Cardona, B., Milian, M., & Gonzalez, M. (2012). Strangers in a strange
land: How non-traditional international adult students see a United States
university. Journal of International Education and Leadership, 2(2), 2161-7252.
- Milian, M. (2011). Listening guidelines for English language learners. In L. Barclay
(Ed.) Learning to listen and listening to learn: Teaching listening skills to students
who are visually impaired (pp. 454-480). New York, NY: AFB Press.
Honors and Awards
- Education Distinguished Award, Hispanic Women of Weld County, 2015
- Certificate of Recognition from Sigma Delta Pi, UNC, for my efforts to promote Hispanic
language, literature, and culture. December 2009.
- Outstanding contribution recognition from the Intermountain Affiliate of College and
University Residence Halls. November 2009
- Recipient of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Service Award AY 2007-08
- Recipient of the 2002 Sponsored Programs Outstanding Achievement Award
- Recipient of the 2002 College of Education Scholar Award
- Recipient of the College of Education Service Award AY 1996-1997
- Recipient of the Division on Visual Handicaps, International Council for Exceptional
Children "Outstanding Dissertation of the Year Award." Family involvement and attitudes about school programs among Latino families of students
with visual impairments, Teachers College Columbia University, 1995.
- Teachers College Columbia University Leadership Training Award in Special Education,
- Sustained Superior Award, Department of Defense Dependent Schools, 1988
- Certificate of Appreciation, Department of Defense Dependents Schools, 1986,1987,
- •Certificate of Appreciation, Los Angeles Unified School District, 1980, 1981