Application and Forms
Admission is a two-step process. First, you must apply to the UNC Graduate School and International Admissions. When all components are received, applications are evaluated. Step two, completed application packages are forwarded to the School of Special Education faculty for final review and recommendation.
Applicants must apply to the University of Northern Colorado Graduate School before the program area reviews the applicant’s request for admission. Failure to submit all required materials will delay the evaluation and screening of your application.
- Statement of Educational Philosophy and Goals (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Resume (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 semester hours of academic work.
- Copy of GRE Scores - if your GPA is less than 3.0 - GPA based on the last 60 hours of a semester system, or 90 hours of a quarter system. If you have a graduate degree GPA is calculated on your last graduate level coursework.)
- Proof of teaching license, if applicable. (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- International Students: $60 non-refundable application fee
- Completed Online Application
- Three names, titles and contact information for references. It is recommended that at least one of these references be a former professor or employer who can comment on the applicant's ability to succeed at the graduate level.
- One official copy of transcripts from all accredited college or university attended since completing high school. UNC Alumni do not need to submit transcripts.
- An in-person, telephone or internet-conference interview that results in a positive recommendation from faculty in the School of Special Education.
- TOEFL scores for International Students
A written Statement of Educational Philosophy and Goals
This need not be lengthy. A statement regarding your teaching philosophy and why you want the degree is sufficient; usually 1or 2 word-processed pages.
The Graduate School and International Admissions office will hold the application until all original transcripts have been received. The Graduate School and International Admissions office will not forward the application to the School of Special Education until all items have been received.
Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. We encourage you to apply several months prior to your anticipated start date to ensure acceptance prior to the subsequent semester’s registration deadlines.
Coursework before admission is finalized
You may take up to 9 credit hours of coursework before your application is finalized by applying as a non-degree student. Contact the registrar’s office to be able to do so.
If your application is denied
You may ask that your application be reconsidered if you are not accepted based on your initial application. If you would like this decision to be reconsidered, you should send a letter specifying why you believe you should be admitted with specific information on steps you would take to assure successful completion of the program. If further information is needed, you may be asked to come in for an interview.