Jennifer Urbach, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Research Interests and Specializations:
Best Practices of Quality Special Education Teachers, Beginning Special Education Teachers Knowledge and Practices, Learning Strategies, Culturally Responsive Instruction, Scientifically-Based Reading Instruction
- Ph.D. University of Colorado, 2006, Instruction and Curriculum in the Content Areas- Literacy
- M.A. University of Indiana,1994, Special Education
- B.A. Saint Mary’s College, 1991, Elementary Education
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Urbach, J. & Klingner, J. K. (2012). The storytelling playground: Expanding the definition of literacy through storytelling. In Dudley, C. & Michaels, S. (Eds.). High-expectation curricula: Helping all students succeed with powerful learning. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Brownell, M. T., Lauterbach, A. A., Dingle, M., Boardman, A., Urbach, J., Leko, M. & Park, Y. & Benedict, A. (In Press). Individual and contextual factors influencing special education teacher learning in Literacy Learning Cohorts. Learning Disability Quarterly.
- Urbach, J. & Eckhoff, A. (2012). Release the dragon: The role of popular culture in children’s stories. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood.13 (1), 27-37. doi.org/10.2304/ciec.2012.13.1.27
- Luckner, J. L. & Urbach, J (2012). Reading fluency and students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing: Synthesis of the research. Communication Disorders Quarterly 33(4),230-241. doi: 10.1177/1525740111412582
- Urbach, J. (2012). Beyond story grammar: Looking at stories through cultural lenses. Education and Urban Society. 44(4), 392-411. doi:10.1177/0013124510392567
- Klingner, J., Urbach, J. & Golos, D., Brownell, M. & Menon, S. (2010). Teaching reading in the 21st century: A glimpse at how special education teachers promote reading. Learning Disabilities Quarterly, 33(2), 59-74.
- Urbach, J., Boardman, A., Osipova, A. Dingle, M., Brownell, M., & Haager, D. (2013, May). Substantive sustainability: Why some teachers make deep and lasting change in professional development. American Education Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Urbach, J., Osipova, A., Dingle, M. & Boardman, A. (2012, April). Moving beyond professional development: The spread and sustainability of evidence based practices. Council for Exceptional Children, Denver, CO.
- Boardman, A., Urbach, J. & Prichard, B. (2011, February). Developing Reflection through Videos and Coaching Sessions. Pacific Coast Research Conference, Coronado, CA.
- Urbach, J. & Eckhoff, A. (2010, May). Release the Dragon: The Role of Popular Culture in Children’s Stories. American Education Research Association, Denver, CO.
- Brownell, M. Lauterbach, A. Dingle, M., Boardman, A., Leko, M. & Urbach, J. (2010, May). Individual and Contextual Factors Influencing Special Education Teacher Learning in Literacy Learning Cohorts. American Education Research Association, Denver, CO.
- Learning Literacy Cohort Project. Consultant (2009-2011), University of Colorado.