Jennifer Urbach, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Research Interests and Specializations:
Best Practices of Quality Special Education Teachers, Beginning Special Education Teachers Knowledge and Practices, Learning Strategies, Culturally Responsive Instruction, Scientifically-Based Reading Instruction
- Ph.D. University of Colorado, 2006, Instruction and Curriculum in the Content Areas- Literacy
- M.A.University of Indiana,1994, Special Education
- B.A.Saint Mary’s College, 1991, Elementary Education
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Eckhoff, A. & Urbach, J. (2008). Understanding Imaginative thinking during childhood: Sociocultural conceptions of creativity and imaginative thought. Early Childhood Research Quarterly,36,179-185.
- Klingner, J. K., & Urbach, J. (2007). Helping Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Exceptional Students Learn to Read. In J. Hoover, J.K. Klingner, L. Baca, & J. Patton (Authors), Methods for teaching culturally and linguistically diverse exceptional learners. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill/Prentice Hall.
- Klingner, J. K., Urbach, J. & Prichard, B. (2009, April). Beliefs of Strong and Weak Special Education Reading Teachers. American Educational Research Association, San Diego, CO.
- Westland, C ., Peterson, L. & Urbach, J. & (2008, September). Supporting our students: Addressing the challenges of working with pre-service teachers with special needs. Colorado Consortium of Special Education Teacher Educators, Denver, CO.
- Peterson, L. Y., Brewer, R. Urbach, J., & Lieber, J. (2008, September). The complete picture: Meaningful outcomes through cross course collaboration. Colorado Consortium on Special Education Teacher Education, Denver, CO.
- Klingner, J. K., Urbach, J. (2008, March). How do special education teachers promote reading comprehension? American Educational Research Association, New York, NY.
- Urbach, J. (2008, March). Expanding the definition of literacy: Challenging the Politics of Representation. American Educational Research Association, New York, NY.
- Urbach, J. & Eckhoff, A. (2008, March). Developing children’s imaginative literacy through storytelling practices in early literacy and the visual arts. American Educational Research Association, New York, NY.
- Urbach, J., Menon, S., & Scornavacco, K. (2007). It’s more than just content: Preparing special education teachers to teach reading. Teacher Education Division Conference, November 8, 2007, Milwaukee, WI.
- Menon, S., Urbach, J. & Scornavacco, K (2006, September). Preparing Special Education teachers to teach reading: What do we know, What do we need to know? Colorado Consortium of Special Education Teacher Educators, Breckenridge, CO.
- Bishop, A., Klingner, J., Dingle, M. & Urbach, J. (2006, April). How can you be an effective Special Education teacher? Portraits of Literacy Expertise. Council for Exceptional Children, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Menon, S., Urbach, J., Klingner, J., Brownell, M. & Bishop, A. (2006, April). Examining High Quality Teacher Practices. American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Learning Literacy Cohort Project. Consultant (2009-2010), University of Colorado.