Ann M. Sebald, Ed.D.
Assistant Professor of Special Education
Program Coordinator, Denver Urban Special Education Program
Education and Behavioral Sciences
School of Special Education
University of Northern Colorado
Denver, CO 80230
Denver Office: 303-637-4330
Ann M. Sebald, Ed.D., Project Director, earned a doctorate in Special Education from the University of Northern Colorado. She currently is the program coordinator for the University of Northern Colorado’s Denver Urban Special Education Program, located at UNC’s Lowry Campus in Denver. She has a strong history of collaboration and consultation due to her responsibilities as a co-teacher and special education consultant; and has experience coordinating large projects requiring the supervision of graduate research assistants due to her role as program coordinator for the National Center on Severe and Sensory Disabilities (formally the National Center on Low-Incidence Disabilities). Finally, Dr. Sebald has several publications relating to general and special education.
Research Interests and Specializations:
The development of self-advocacy and self-determination in students with special needs and how this affects academics such as literacy, large-scale assessments and performance of students with special needs, alternative assessments, using technology to create on-line communities
- Ed.D. University of Northern Colorado 2005 Special Education
- M.A. University of Northern Colorado 1996 Special Education
- B.S.Ed. Montana State University 1993 Elementary Education
- Sebald, A. (in press). Teachers’ perceptions of self-determination for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. American Annals of the Deaf, Summer, 2009.
- Sebald, A. (2008). Child abuse and deafness: An overview. American Annals of the Deaf, 153(4), 376-383.
- Adams, C., Finnerty, M., Sebald, A., & Sweet-Barnard, S. (2008). National Center on Severe and Sensory Disabilities: TeachSSD Website. TeachSSD.org.
- Sebald, A. (2007). Incidence, indicators and impact of child abuse and neglect among children who are deaf or hard of hearing in the United States. British Teachers Association of the Deaf, September, 2007, http://www.batod.org.uk/index.php?id=/publications/magazine/index/year-07/sept-07.htm
- Sebald, A., & Luckner, J. (2007). Successful partnerships with families with children who are deaf. Teaching Exceptional Children, 39(3), 54-60.
- Luckner, J., Sebald, A., Cooney, J., Young, J., & Muir, S. G. (2005/2006). A review of evidence-based literacy research with students who are deaf or hard of hearing. American Annals of the Deaf, 150(5), 443-456.
- Luckner, J., Muir, S.G., Howell., J.J., Velaski-Sebald, A., & Young, J., (2005). An examination of the research and training needs in the field of deaf education. American Annals of the Deaf, 150(4), 358-368.
- Velaski-Sebald, A. M. Teacher perceptions of self-determination for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. Published Doctor of Education dissertation, University of Northern Colorado (2005).
- Luckner, J., & Velaski-Sebald, A. (2005). Healthy families of children who are deaf: Research study findings (editorial). Hands and Voices, Spring, 12.
- Sebald, A., & Morrison, A. (2009). Paraeducators in urban settings. School ParaEducator Association of Colorado Conference, Englewood, CO.
- Lowell, N., & Sebald, A. (2006). Research clearinghouse community. National Center on Low-Incidence Disabilities’ Research in the Rockies Conference, Vail, CO.
- Ferrell, K. A., Jackson, L., & Sebald, A. (2006). Research-based reading practices for students with low-incidence disabilities. National Center on Low-Incidence Disabilities’ Research in the Rockies Conference, Vail, CO.
- Sebald, A. (2005, October). Teacher perceptions: How do they view self-determination for students who are deaf or hard of hearing? Colorado Symposium on Deafness, Language and Learning, Breckenridge, CO.
- Halley, K., Mason, L., & Sebald, A. (2005, April). 20/20 hindsight: The dos and don'ts of meta-analysis. Poster session presented at the University of Northern Colorado Research Day, Greeley, CO.
- Sebald, A. (2008). Special educators in urban areas. Faculty Research and Dissemination Grant Request for Funding. Request for $2,500. Awarded Nov., 2008.
Honors and Awards
- 2009 University Continuing Education Association: Great Plains Region Awards and Recognition – Credit Program Award
- 2002- 2005 - University of Northern Colorado, Leadership Grant, National Center on Low-Incidence Disabilities
- 2002 – Nominated Teacher of the Year – Greeley School District Six
- 2001 – “Warner Lighthouse Award”, University Schools