Corey Pierce , Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Research Interests and Specializations:
- Response to Intervention: Implementation Models for Schools and Evaluation of Effectiveness
- Identifying Efficient Methods for Teaching Reading Skills to middle school students with literacy and behavior skill deficits: Researching a combined reading and behavior intervention.
- Identifying differences in cultural awareness issues related to teaching between traditional campus-teaching preparation programs and urban-education programs.
- Ph.D. University of Nebraska 2004, Special Education
- M.Ed. University of Nebraska 2001, Special Education
- B.S. University of South Dakota 1998, Elementary Education/ Special Education
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Benner, G. J., Beaudoin, K., Mooney, P., Uhing, B. M., & Pierce, C. D., (in press). Convergent Validity with the BERS-2 Teacher Rating Scale and the Achenbach Teacher's Report Form: A Replication and Extension. Journal of Child and Family Studies.
- Bruns, D. A. & Pierce, C. P. (2007). Let’s read together: Tools for early literacy development for all young children. Young Exceptional Children, 10, 2-10.
- Mooney, P., Epstein, M.H., Ryser, G. & Pierce, C.D. (2005). Reliability and validity of the parent form of the Behavioral and Emotional Rating Scale-2: Parent Rating Scale. Children and Schools, 27, 147-156.
- Mueller, T.G., & Pierce, C.D. (In Press). Educational diagnosis. In P. A. Gallagher Teaching Students with Behavior Disorders (2nd Ed.).. Denver, CO: Love Publishing.
- Nelson, J. R., Sage, S., Epstein, M.H., & Pierce, C. D. (2005). Effects of a pre-reading intervention on the literacy skills and social behavior of kindergarten children at-risk for EBD and reading problems. Exceptional Children, 72, 29-46.
- Pierce, C.D., & DeRoach, K. (2006, November). Special education teachers’ use and perceptions of state-wide mandated assessment. Paper presented at the 2006 Council for Educational Diagnostic Services 2006 Annual Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Pierce, C.D. (2006, February). Effective literacy instruction for struggling readers. Paper presented at the 2006 Courage to Risk Conference, Colorado Springs, CO.
Response to Intervention Implementation:
5 Training Modules for successful implementation of Response to Intervention in Small and Large Schools with 16 District and School RtI Teams. Sponsor: Educational Service Unit #13, Scottsbluff, NE.
Diversity in Education Research Initiative:
Campus-Based Special Education Teacher Preparation versus City-Based Urban Education Special Education Teacher Preparation: Development of Special Education Teachers for Urban Schools. Sponsor: UNC Offices of the President and the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Research and Development Initiative Fellowship:
Enhancing Research Proposal Development Skills through Training and Mentorship: A Plan to Ensure Successful Completion of a 5-Year Research Agenda Focusing on Reading and Behavior. Sponsor: UNC Sponsored Programs and Academic Research Center.