Lori Y. Peterson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Office: 970 351 1376
Research Interests and Specializations:
Self-Determination, Assessment of Students with Exceptionalities, Transition, Special Education Policy and Procedures, Curricular Adaptations, Postsecondary Services for Students with Exceptionalities
- Ph.D. University of Oklahoma, 2004, Special Education
- M.A. University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, 1998, Special Education
- B.A.University of Northern Colorado, 1993, Speech Language Pathology and Audiology
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Peterson, L.Y. (2009, June). Self-determination and student involvement in the IEP,
Greeley/Evans School District 6, Greeley, CO.
- Peterson, L. Y. & Van Dycke, J. L. (2009, April). Giving students a voice: Creating
advocacy presentations. Council for Exceptional Children 2009 Annual Convention and Expo, Seattle, WA.
- Van Dycke, J. L. & Peterson, L. Y. (2008, April). The power of perceived source of belief
in self-determination foundations. Council for Exceptional Children 2008 Annual Convention and Expo, Boston, MA.
- Martin, J. E., Peterson, L. Y. & Goff, C. D. (2007). How to increase self-determination at
school and work. In D. E. Mithaug, D. K., Mithaug, M. Agran, J. E. Martin, & M. L. Wehmeyer (Eds.), Self-instruction pedagogy: How to teach self-determined learning. Springfield, IL: Charles Thomas, Publishers.
- Peterson, L. Y. & Van Dycke, J. L. (2007, April). Self-determination and self-concept:
exploring a meaningful relationship. Council for Exceptional Children 2007 Annual Convention and Expo, Louisville, KY.
- Interdisciplinary Panel (2007, March). Ethics Forum, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa
Phi Forum, Bradley University, Peoria, IL.
- Peterson, L. Y. & Ball, K. M. (2006, November). Implementing goal attainment
strategies to increase student self-determination. Illinois Council for Exceptional
Children, Schaumburg, IL.
- Peterson, L. Y. (2006, October). Teaching Toolbox: Creating accommodations and
modifications. Student Illinois Education Association Conference, Bloomington, IL.
- Peterson, L. Y., Martin, J. E., Goff, C. & Ball. K. M. (2006, April). Self-determination
and college students with disabilities: Investigating the issues. Council for Exceptional Children 2006 Annual Convention and Expo, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Peterson, L. Y., & Ball, K. M. (2005, October). Beyond invitations: Student participants
in their secondary IEP meetings. IllinoisCouncil for Exceptional Children,
- Martin, J. E., Mithaug, D. E., Cox, P., Peterson, L. Y., Van Dycke, J. L., & Cash, M. E.
(2003). Increasing self-determination: Teaching students to plan, work, evaluate, and adjust. Exceptional Children, 69(4), 433-449.
- Martin, J. E., Van Dycke, J. L., Peterson, L. Y., & Walden, R. J. (2003). Transition of
students with disabilities from high school to post-secondary education. In C. Kochhar-Bryant & D. Bassett (Eds.), Aligning transition and standards-based educational reform. Arlington, VA: Council for Exceptional Children.