Lori Y. Peterson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Office: 970 351 1376
Research Interests and Specializations:
Self-Determination, Assessment of Students with Exceptionalities, Transition, Special Education Policy and Procedures, Curricular Adaptations, Postsecondary Services for Students with Exceptionalities
- Ph.D. University of Oklahoma, 2004, Special Education
- M.A. University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, 1998, Special Education
- B.A.University of Northern Colorado, 1993, Speech Language Pathology and Audiology
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Peterson, L.Y., Van Dycke, J. L., Roberson, R. L., & Sedaghat, J. M. (2013). Promoting student transition from entitlement services to eligibility resources. Intervention in School and Clinic, 49(2), 99-107. doi:10.1177/1053451213493173
- Peterson, L.Y., Burden, J. P., Sedaghat, J. M., Gothberg, J. E., Kohler, P. D., & Coyle, J. L. (2013). Triangulated transition goals: Developing relevant and genuine annual goals. Teaching Exceptional Children, 45(6),46-57.
- Gothberg, J., Applegate, B. Reeves, P. Kohler, P., Thurston, L., & Peterson, L. (2013). Is the medium really the message? A comparison of face-to-face, telephone, and internet focus group venues. Journal of Ethnographic and Qualitative Research, 7(3), 108-127.
- Peterson, L. Y., & Sedaghat, J. M., (2013, January). A Continuum of self-determination Instruction: Initial Implementation. Council for Exceptional Children 2013 Annual Convention and Expo, San Antonio, TX.
- Peterson, L. Y., & Sedaghat, J. M., (2013, January). Implementing self-determination instruction across 6-12 grades. Courage to Risk, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Peterson, L. Y., Sedaghat, J. M., & Burden, J. P. (2012, May). Developing self-determination: A secondary continuum. National Capacity Building Institute, Charlotte, NC.
- Peterson, L. Y., & Van Dycke, J. L. (2011, October). RiT: Resources in Transition: A tiered model of web-based transition resources. Division on Career Development and Transition 16th International Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Peterson, L. Y., & Gothberg, J. E. (2011, October). Self-Determination instruction in a world of academic requirements. Division on Career Development and Transition 16th International Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Van Dycke, J. L., & Peterson, L. Y. (2011, October). Conceptualizing disability disclosure. Division on Career Development and Transition 16th International Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Martin, J. E., Peterson, L. Y. & Goff, C. D. (2007). How to increase self-determination at school and work. In D. E. Mithaug, D. K., Mithaug, M. Agran, J. E. Martin, & M. L. Wehmeyer (Eds.), Self-instruction pedagogy: How to teach self-determined learning. Springfield, IL: Charles Thomas, Publishers.
- Martin, J. E., Van Dycke, J. L., Peterson, L. Y., & Walden, R. J. (2003). Transition of students with disabilities from high school to post-secondary education. In C. Kochhar-Bryant & D. Bassett (Eds.), Aligning transition and standards-based educational reform. Arlington, VA: Council for Exceptional Children.
- Martin, J. E., Mithaug, D. E., Cox, P., Peterson, L. Y., Van Dycke, J. L., & Cash, M. E. (2003). Increasing self-determination: Teaching students to plan, work, evaluate, and adjust.Exceptional Children, 69(4), 433-449.