Lewis Jackson, Ed.D
Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, Colorado 80639
Research Interests and Specializations:
Inclusive education; positive behavioral support; language, literacy, and communication
- Ed.D. The Johns Hopkins University 1987 Human Communication
- M.S. The Johns Hopkins University 1979 Severe Disabilities
- B.S., University of North Carolina 1971 Psychology
- Jackson, L., Ryndak, D., & Wehmeyer, M. (in press). The dynamic relationship between context, curriculum, and student learning: A case for inclusive education as a research-based Practice. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities.
- Jackson, L. B. (2006). Reading instruction and related areas with students who have mental retardation and/or multiple disabilities. Nashville, TN: Published Proceedings of the 4th Annual Australian Conference on Cognition, Language, and Special Education, edited by Fiona Bryer, sponsored by Griffith University (Brisbane, Australia) and hosted by Vanderbilt University, Peabody College of Education.
- Rude, H., Jackson, L., Correa, S., Luckner, J., Muir, S., & Ferrell, K. (2005). Perceived needs of students with low-incidence disabilities in rural areas: What professionals and parents say. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 24(3), 3-14.
- Jackson, L. B., McCaleb, K., & Helwick, G. (2003). Facilitating skill acquisition during general education academic subjects, electives, and other activities. In D. Ryndak, & S. Alper (Ed.), Curriculum and instruction for students with significant disabilities in inclusive settings. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Jackson, L. B., & Panyan, M. V. (2002). Positive behavioral support in the classroom: Principles and practices. Baltimore: Brookes Publishing.
Selected, Recent National and International Presentations:
- Jackson, L. B., Larsen, K., Mortensen, M., Boswell, A., Boswell, T., Alexander, B., Hellander, C., Newkirk, E., Newkirk, B., Smercina, T., Rowley, D., Vallem, H., Baker, J., Jourgensen, T., Flanders, A., Newkirk, B., Villard, C. (2009, Nov.). Successful Home/School Behavior Support: Two Teams Tell Their Story. Pittsburgh, PA: TASH Annual Convention.
- Finnerty, M., & Jackson, L. B. (2009, Nov.). A vehicle for delivering curricular adaptations for students with severe disabilities. Pittsburgh, PA: TASH Annual Convention.
- Jackson, L. B. Using solution-focused counseling theory and practice with educational teams who are working with students who have severe behavior problems (2009, May). Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia: First International Teacher Education Conference Colorado-Siberia.
- Jackson, L. B., Halley, K., Orlando, A., & Ryndak, D. (2008, Dec.) Literacy Instruction For Students With Severe Disabilities: A Meta-Analysis And Recommendations. Nashville, TN: Annual Meeting of the Association for Persons with Severe Disabilities
- Jackson, L. B., Larsen, K., Forbes, M., LeWarne, A., Villard, C., Tunks, L., Tunks, E., & Halley, K. (2008, Nov.). A family-friendly, collaborative process for developing behavior intervention plans for children who express challenging behaviors. Albuquerque, NM: The Arc National Convention.
Selected Recent Grants:
- Jackson, L. B. (2008). Empowering Teachers to Provide Educational Access for Students with Significant Learning Needs. Research Fellowship Award, Sponsored Programs and Academic Research Center ($15,891, over 1 semester).
- Jackson, L. B. (2007). Solution-focused follow-along and support for families who have a child with behavioral concerns. Grand Junction, CO: Advocacy Resource Coalition for People With Developmental Disabilities of Mesa County ($6,000 over 1 year).
- Jackson, L. B. (2005). Assisting families who have a child with behavioral concerns through home-school solution-focused planning. Denver: Colorado Developmental Disabilities Council ($35,000 for 2 years)