Paula Wenner Conroy, Ed.D.
Associate Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Science
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Research Interests and Specializations:
- Braille Instruction
- Multicultural Educational Issues
- Orientation and Mobility
- Teaching English Language Learners with Visual Disabilities
- Visual Impairment and Blindness
- Action Research
- English Language Learners with Visual Disabilities
- Instructional Methodology
- Ed.D. University of Northern Colorado 2000 Special Education
- M.A. University of Northern Colorado 1990 Special Education
- B.S. Russell Sage College 1988 Special Education
Juried Book Chapters:
- Milian, M. & Conroy, P. (2001). Providing professional services to individuals who speak English as a second language. In M. Milian & J. Erin (Eds.), Multiple Dimensions of Individuals with Visual Impairments (pp.343-382). New York: AFB Press.
- Conroy, P. (in press). Paraprofessionals and students with visual impairments: Potential pitfalls and solutions. Re:View.
- Conroy, P. (2007). Hmong culture and visual impairment: Strategies for culturally sensitive practices. Re:View, (38)2, p55-64.
- Conroy, P., Rude, H., & Phillips, J. (2006). Rural challenges to educating English language learners with visual impairments. Rural Special Education Quarterly. 25(4), p16-24.
- Conroy, P. (2005). English language learners with visual impairments: Strategies to enhance learning. Re:View, (37)3, p101-108.
- Conroy, P. (1999). Total physical response. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness,93(5), 315-318.
- Conroy, P. (November, 2006). Alternatives to Paraprofessional Support for Students who are Visually Impaired. Colorado Vision Service Providers Conference (CDE), Denver, CO.
- Conroy, P. (October, 2006). Strategies for Assisting Students with Visual Impairments in the Classroom. Colorado Association of Paraprofessionals, Denver, CO.
- Conroy, P. (September, 2006). The Use of Peer Mediated Support Models with Students who are Visually Impaired. Metropolitan Denver RegionalVision Group, Aurora, CO.
- Conroy, P. (July, 2006). Examining the Use of Paraprofessionals with Students who are Visually Impaired. AER International Conference, Snowbird, UT.
- Conroy, P. (December, 2005). Bridges or Barriers: Examining the Use of Paraprofessionals with Students who are Visually Impaired. Getting in Touch With Literacy, Denver, CO.
- Conroy, P. (April, 2005). ELL Teaching Strategies for Students With Visual Impairments. Council for Exceptional Children, Baltimore, MD.
- Conroy, P. (July, 2004). Teaching Strategies for Second Language Learners with Visual Impairment. International AER Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- Conroy, P. (October, 2003). Partnerships with Personnel Preparation Programs in Visual Impairment. National Federation of the Blind of Colorado. Guest Presenter.
- Conroy, P. (February, 2003). Literacy: Multicultural Issues. Low Vision in the 21st Century, Everybody’s Business. Los Angeles, CA.
- Conroy, P. (July, 2002). ESL Teachers Perceptions of Needs and Challenges in Working with students with visual impairment who are in the process of learning English as a Second Language. International AER Conference, Toronto, Ontario.
- Conroy, P (July, 2000). Teacher Experiences in Educating ESL Students with Visual Impairments. International AER Conference, Denver, CO.
- Conroy, P. (April, 1999). Teacher Preparation for Education of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners with Low Incidence Disabilities. University of Northern Colorado Research Symposium.
- Conroy, P. (July, 1997). Needs of Second Language Learners with Visual Impairments. Southwest AER Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Conroy, P. (February, 1997). Strategies for Educating Non-English Speaking Students in Special Education. Courage to Risk Conference, Colorado Springs, CO.