Robin Brewer, Ed.D.
Associate Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Office: (970) 351-1661
Research Interests and Specializations:
- Teacher quality and new teacher’s dispositions;
- Effective school-based practices for working with students with autism; and
- Inclusive education practices for students with significant support needs.
- Ed.D. University of Northern Colorado 1998 Special Education
- M.A. University of Northern Colorado 1991 Special Education
- B.S. University of Oklahoma 1981 Special Education
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Brewer, R. D., Coval, L. A., Reid, M. S. (submitted). The dispositions
improvement process: Know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em". Rural and Special Education Quarterly.
- Brewer, R. & Mueller, T. G. (in press). Strategies at Hand: Quick Strategies for Working with Students with Autism. Kansas City: Asperger Autism Publishing Company.
- Coval, L. A., Brewer, R. D., & Reid, M. (2007). Bellies, backs, cleavage, & cracks: The disposition improvement plan. In H. A. Rude (Ed.), Proceedings of the Second Annual Colorado Consortium of Special Education Teacher Educators Institute, Denver, CO: Colorado Department of Education.
- Brewer, R. D. & Haines, L. (In Press). The Role and Legal Responsibilities of the School nurse when working with students with Disabilities. http://iris.peabody.vanderbilt.edu/
- Banta, M., Brewer, R., Hansen, A., Ku, H., Pacheco, K., Powers, R., Robinson, J. & Tucker, G. (2004). An innovative program for cultivating grant writing skills in new faculty members. Journal of Research Administration, 35(1), 17-24.
- Rude, H. A. & Brewer, R. D. (2003). Assessment of professional development systems: Improving rural special education services. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 22(4), 20-28.
- Brewer, R. D., Reid, M. S., & Rhine, B. G. (2003, September). Peer coaching: Students teaching to learn. Intervention in School and Clinic, 39(2), 113-126.
- Mueller, T., Brewer, R.D. (July, 2007). Beyond Behavior Management: Transforming a Classroom from Chaos to Calm. 31st Annual Bresnahan-Halstead Special Education Symposia. Vail, Colorado.
Brewer, R. (April 2007). Transitional Workgroup: Strategies and Recommendations. International Council for Exceptional Children Conference. Louisville, Kentucky.
- Brewer. R, Coval, L.A. & Reid, M. (March, 2007). Professional Dispositions Qualities (PDQ): A Process for Assessing Teacher Candidates’ Dispositions. 1st Annual Making an Impact: Best Practices in Achievement, Assessment and Accountability of P-12 Learning Conference, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Mueller, T. G. & Brewer, R. D. (February, 2006). Research-Based Classroom Interventions for Students with Autism. Courage to Risk: The Nineteenth Annual Collaborative Conference for Special Education. Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Brewer, R. (January, 2007). Autism Spectrum Disorders: Communication, Discrete Trial Training and Structured Teaching. Gunnison School District, Gunnison, Colorado.
- Brewer, R. (January, 2007). Autism Spectrum Disorders: Learner Outcomes and Understanding Behavior. Gunnison School District, Gunnison, Colorado.
Statewide Development of Training Projects:
- Autism Task Force – Curriculum Development - Colorado Department of \ Education
- Significant Support Needs Task Force–Curriculum Dev. Colorado Department of