Diane Bassett, Ph.D.
Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Office: (970) 351-1648
Research Interests and Specializations:
- Transition and contextual education
- Education Reform
- Needs of adolescents and young adults
- Learning strategies/metacognition
- Effective teaching strategies
- Ph.D. University of New Mexico, 1991, Special Education
- M.A. University of Northern Colorado, 1980, Special Education
- B.S. University of Colorado, Boulder, 1974, Secondary Education, English
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Kochhar-Bryant, C.A., Bassett, D. S., & Webb, K.W. (2009).Transition to postsecondary education for students with disabilities. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press
- Blalock, G., Patton, J.P., Kohler, P, & Bassett, D. S. [Eds.] (2008). Transition and students with learning disabilities: Facilitating the movement from school to adult life (2nd Ed,), Austin, TX: Pro-Ed.
- Kochhar-Bryant, C.A., & Bassett, D.S. (Eds.). (2002) Aligning transition and standards-based education: Issues and Strategies. Arlington, VA: Council for Exceptional Children.
- Li, J., Bassett, D. S., & Hutchinson, S. R. (2009). Secondary special educators' transition involvement. Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability, 34(2).
- Wandry, D., Webb, K., Williams, J., Bassett, D., Asselin, S., and Hutchinson, S. (2008). Identifying the barriers to effective transition planning and implementation: A study of teacher candidates from five teacher preparation programs. Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, 31(1), 14-25.
- Bassett, D.S., and Kochhar-Bryant, C. (2006, October) Strategies for aligning standards-based education and transition. Focus on Exceptional Children, 39(2), 1-19.
- Anderson, D., Kleinhammer-Trammill, P.J., Morningstar, M., Lehmann, J., Bassett, D., Kohler, P., Blalock, G., & Wehmeyer, M. (2003). What’s happening in personnel preparation in transition? A national survey. Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, 26, 27-44.
- Blalock, G., Kochhar-Bryant, C., Test, D., Kohler, P., White, W., Lehmann, J., Bassett, D. & Patton, J. (2003). The need for comprehensive personnel preparation in transition and career development: A position statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition. Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, 26, 91-110.
- Coordinator – Generalist Program (2005 - present)
- CDE Exceptional Student Leadership Unit IEP Revision Task Force (2007-2008)
- Generalist Program for Licensing Assessment for Colorado Educators (PLACE) Objective Review Team (February and October, 2007, October, 2008)
- Part-time Consultant to Asst. Commissioner Ed Steinberg (2006-present)
- CDE Exceptional Student Leadership Unit Secondary Services Team member
- Colorado Department of Education Committee on Highly Objective Uniform State Standard of Evaluation (HOUSSE) for Secondary Special Educators
- Colorado Consortium of Special Education Teacher Education Programs (2005 - present)
Selected Honors and Awards:
- 2006, Oliver P. Kolstoe Award, awarded by CEC Division on Career Development and Transition
- 2005, Academic Excellence Award for Teaching Excellence in Grad. Education, awarded by UNC Provost
- 2004, UNC Distinguished Scholarship Nominee, awarded by Faculty Research and Publications Board
- 2003, COE Outstanding Scholar, awarded by College of Education, UNC
- 2000, President, awarded by Division on Career Development and Transition
- 1996, COE Outstanding Service Award, awarded by College of Education, UNC
- 1994, Favorite Professor, awarded by Mortar Board, UNC