Associate Professor of Special Education
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Dr. Banerjee’s research areas and interests are effective assessment of young children, especially issues around diversity, inclusive intervention for young children, teacher preparation, and effective community, family, and professional partnerships and International support systems for persons with disability.
- Ph.D. University of Kansas, Special Education
- M. Sc., University of Kansas, Special Education: Early Childhood
- B. Com., Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration, Accountancy
- Banerjee, R. & Luckner, J. (in press). Training needs of early childhood professionals who work with children and families from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Infants and Young Children.
- Barton, E. E. & Banerjee, R. (2013). Culturally responsive behavioral supports for children with challenging behaviors and their families. In M.M. Ostrosky & S. Sandall (Eds.) YEC Monograph No. 15, Addressing young children’s challenging behaviors (pp. 76-94). Missoula, MT: The Division of Early Childhood.
- Banerjee, R. & Luckner, J. (2013). Assessment practices and training needs of early childhood professionals. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 34(3), 231-248.
- Chopra, R., Banerjee, R., DiPalma, G., Merrill, L. & Ferguson, A. (2013). Colorado’s example for preparing paraprofessionals for rural early intervention programs. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 32, 1, 20-28.
- Banerjee, R. & Horn, E. (2013). Supporting classroom transitions between daily routines: Strategies and tips. Young Exceptional Children, 16, 3-14. doi: 10.1177/1096250612446853.
- Guiberson, M. & Banerjee, R. (2012). Using questionnaires to screen emergent dual language learner toddlers & preschool-age children for language disorders. In R.M. Santos, G. Cheatham, & L. Duran (Eds.) YEC Monograph No. 14, Supporting Young Children who are Dual Language Learners with or at-risk for Disabilities (pp.75-92). Missoula, MT: The Division of Early Childhood.
- Banerjee, R., & Guiberson, M. (2012). Evaluating young children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds for special education services. Young Exceptional Children, 15, 33-45. doi: 10.1177/1096250611435368.
- Banerjee, R., Bowen, S., & Ferrell, K.A. (2011). Working with children with visual impairment, hearing loss, and severe disabilities. In C. Groark (Series Ed.) & S. P. Maude (Vol. Ed.) Early Childhood Intervention: Program and Policies for Special Needs Children, Three Volumes: Vol. 2. Proven Strategies and Instructional Practices in EI/ECSE. (pp. 297-329). Santa Barbara: Praeger.
- Banerjee, R. (2011). Using wisdom-based evidence to guide practice. The Educator, 23(1), 10-16.
- Alsulaiman, M. & Banerjee, R. (2011). Using formal assessments with response to intervention for students with learning disability in Saudi Arabia. Childhood Care and Development Journal, 9, 3-27.
- Plunkett, D., Banerjee, R., & Horn, E. (2010). Supporting early childhood outcomes through assistive technology. In S. Seok, S., E. L. Meyen, & B DaCosta. (Ed.), Handbook of research on human cognition and assistive technology: Design, accessibility and transdisciplinary perspectives. (pp. 339-358). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-61520-817-3.ch024.
- Banerjee, R., Sundeen, T., & Hutchinson, S. (2010). Analysis of child outcomes data of preschool children receiving special education services in Colorado in 2008-2009. Colorado Department of Education.
- Banerjee, R., Hutchinson, S., & Sundeen, T. (2010). Analysis of family outcomes data of preschool children in Colorado. Colorado Department of Education.Horn, E. & Banerjee, R. (2009). Understanding curriculum modifications and embedded learning opportunities in the context of supporting all children’s success. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 40, 406–415.
- Banerjee, R. (2010). Orientation to Early Intervention: An academy for Developmental Intervention Assistant. Instructors’ manual. In R. Chopra, (Ed). Comprehensive Training Opportunities for Paraeducators for Early Intervention Services Academies. The Para Center, University of Colorado, Denver & Early Intervention Colorado, Colorado Department of Human Services.
- Banerjee, R. (2010). Fundamentals of Individualized Family Service Program: An academy for Developmental Intervention Assistant. Instructors’ manual. In R. Chopra, (Ed). Comprehensive Training Opportunities for Paraeducators for Early Intervention Services Academies. The Para Center, University of Colorado, Denver & Early Intervention Colorado, Colorado Department of Human Services.
- Banerjee, R. (2009, Contribution). Reality on reel. In S. Thompson & K. Williams (Eds.). Telling Stories through Photo Essays. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Banerjee, R. (2006). A chance walk in learning. Deepshikha, 46, 11-12.
- Banerjee, R & Horn, E. (2005). Use of socio-dramatic play to develop literacy skills in early childhood settings. In E. Horn & H. Jones (Eds.) YEC Monograph No. 7, Supporting early literacy development in young children (pp.101- 112). Longmont, CO: Sopris-West.
- Baggett, K., Carta, J., & Horn, E. (with Banerjee, R., Saito, Y., & Kim, K.) (2002). Indicators of parent child interaction (IPCI): User’s manual. University of Kansas Juniper Garden’s Children’s Project.
- Banerjee, R. & McLean, M. (July 2013). Revising the DEC Recommended Practices:
Process and outcomes. Session presentation at OSEP Project Directors’ Conference, Washington D.C.
- Banerjee, R. (July 2013). Supporting socio-dramatic play in preschools to improve literacy skills of English language learners. International Association of Special Education, Biennial Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Banerjee, R. (April, 2013). Using standards-based and evidence-based content in early childhood professional development. Social Welfare: Interdisciplinary Approach Scientific Conference, Šiauliai Universit. Siauliai, Lithuania
- Banerjee, R., Chopra, R., & DiPalma, G. (October, 2012). Incorporating standards-based and evidence-based content and practices in early childhood associate degree programs. Poster presentation at Division of Early Childhood, Council for Exceptional Children, Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Banerjee, R., & Guiberson, M. (October, 2012). Evaluating young children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds for special education. Presentation at Division of Early Childhood, Council for Exceptional Children, Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Preparing Paraprofessionals for Early Childhood Education-Project P2 ECE, US Dept. of Education, Office of Special Education: Office of Special Education Programs
- Hybrid Comprehensive Training of Paraprofessionals in Early Intervention Services-Hybrid CO-TOP*EIS Project, Office of Special Education: Office of Special Education Programs
- Effect of Sociodramatic Play on Literacy Skills of English Language Learners, Spencer Foundation