Eileen Hilander-Balcerak, MA
Field Experience Coordinator
School of Special Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
Office: (970) 351-2359
Eileen J. Hilander Balcerak earned her B. A. and M. A. from the University of Northern Colorado. She began her career as an elementary education teacher and then moved into special education, working with students with severe affective needs. More recently she initiated a highly successful program for students with autism spectrum disorders. The latter part of her career was that of special education director. Upon retirement Eileen was hired as an adjunct instructor for the School of Special Education. Currently she serves as the Field Experience Coordinator, placing all Generalist undergraduate and graduate teacher candidates in their required field experiences. She is also currently a doctoral student in the School of Special Education.
Research Interests and Specializations:
Effective Teacher Training, Retention and Recruitment Strategies, Planning for and Implementation of Effective School Partnerships, Autism, School Success for Students on the Autism Spectrum, Training Practices for Teachers of Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
(Currently in doctoral program)
- M. A. University of Northern Colorado 1982 Special Education
- B. A. University of Northern Colorado 1970 Elementary Education, Special Education
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Revised and redesigned the practicum project, performance-based checklist, and practicum completion guidelines for EDSE 444 and EDSE 693 (2007).
- Balcerak, E. J. (2007) The role of the university consultant (In-service Training).
- Hendrickson, J. D., Balcerak, E. J., (2006) The role of the adjunct professor in teacher education. Colorado Consortium of Special Education Teacher Educators’ conference.
- As principal investigator, co-authored a proposal to OSEP for a National Professional Development Center: Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (2006).
- Co-trainer for the Colorado Department of Education’s Autism Task Force (2005-ongoing).