Professor of Psychological Sciences
- B.A.: Colorado State University
- Ph.D.: Colorado State University
History and Systems of Psychology, Psychology and the Law, Seminar in the Psychology of Interrogation and Confession, Psychology of Prejudice, Psychology of Religion
Psychology of Interrogation and Confession, History and Systems of Psychology, Teaching of Psychology
Recent Publications (student co-authors in bold):
- King, D. B., Woody, W. D., & Viney, W. (2013). A history of psychology: Ideas and context (5th edition). Boston: Pearson.
- Woody, W. D. & Coloroso, E. M. (in press). Advising Future Forensic Psychologists. In J. Irons & R. L. Miller (Eds.), Academic Advising: A Handbook for Advisors and Students. Electronic book: Society for the Teaching of Psychology.
- Woody, W. D., & Alcorn, M. B. (2014). Seeking a Teacher-Scholar in the School of Psychological Sciences at the University of Northern Colorado. In J. N. Busler, B. C. Beins, & W. Buskist (Eds.), Preparing the New Professoriate: Helping Graduate Students Become Competent Teachers (2nd ed.) (pp. 148-153). Electronic book: Society for the Teaching of Psychology.
- Woody, W. D., & Daniel, D. B. (2014). Are We There Yet? E-textbooks and Online Learning. In P. R. Lowenthal, C. S. York & J. C. Richardson (Eds.), Online Learning: Common Misconceptions, Benefits, and Challenges (pp. 89-98). Series: Education in a Competitive and Globalizing World. New York: Nova Publishing.
- Handelsman, M. M., & Woody, W. D. (2014). Ethical Teaching in the Classroom and Beyond. In D. S. Dunn (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Undergraduate Psychology Education in The Oxford Library of Psychology Series. New York: Oxford University Press USA. doi: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199933815.013.011
- Woody, W. D., Daniel, D. B., & Stewart, J. M. (2012). Students’ Preferences and Performance Using E-Textbooks and Print Textbooks. In F. Columbus (Ed.), Computers in Education (vol. 1, pp. 43-58). New York: Nova Publishing.
- Woody, W. D., Forrest, K. D., & Stewart, J. M. (2011). False confessions: The role of police deception in interrogation and jurors’ perceptions of the techniques and their outcomes. In A. E. Hasselm (Ed.), Crime: Causes, Types and Victims (pp. 1-37). New York: Nova Publishing; E-book (2010) available from https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=16689.
- Woody, W. D. (2011). Engaging students in History and Systems of Psychology courses. In R. L. Miller, E. Balcetis, S. Burns, D. B. Daniel, B. K. Saville, & Woody, W. D. (Eds.), Promoting student engagement: Volume 2: Classroom demonstrations and exercises (pp. 129-134). Electronic book: Society for the Teaching of Psychology. Retrievable from http://teachpsych.org/ebooks/pse2011/vol2/index.php
Supplementary Materials fsor Instruction
- Rowland, C. A., & Woody, W. D. (2013). Instructor’s manual and test bank for A history of psychology: Ideas and context (5th ed.). Boston: Pearson.
- Rowland, C. A., &, & Woody, W. D. (2013). Instructor’s PowerPoint presentations for A history of psychology: Ideas and context (5th ed.). Boston: Pearson.
- Woody, W. D. (2012). Suggested Readings and Hotlinks for A brief history of psychology (5th ed.) by M. Wertheimer. London: Psychology Press.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Woody, W. D., Forrest, K. D., & Yendra, S. (2013). Comparing the Effects of Explicit and Implicit False-Evidence Ploys on Mock Jurors’ Verdicts, Sentencing Recommendations, and Perceptions of Police Interrogation. Psychology, Crime and Law, 20, 603-617.
- Daniel, D., & Woody, W. D. (2013). E-Textbooks At What Cost? Performance and Use of Electronic v. Print Texts. Computers & Education, 62, 18-23.
- Woody, W. D., & Greene, E. (2012). Jurors’ Use of Standards of Proof in Decisions about Punitive Damages. Behavioral Science and the Law, 30,856-872.
- Mace, B. L., Woody, W. D., & Berg, L. (2012). Teaching Environmental Psychology by Doing It: Explorations in the Natural World. Ecopsychology [Special Issue on Teaching Environmentally Focused Psychology], 4, 81-86.
- Forrest, K. D., Woody, W. D., Brady, S. E., Batterman, K. C., Stastny, B. J., & Bruns, J. A. (2012). False-Evidence Ploys and Interrogations: Mock Jurors’ Perceptions of Ploy Type, Deception, Coercion, and Justification. Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 30, 342-364.
- Walker, C. M., & Woody, W. D. (2011). Jury decision making for juveniles tried as adults: The effects of age, type of crime, and outcome of crime. Psychology, Crime, and Law, 17, 659-675.