At UNC you will make the most of your future by expanding your mind and advancing your career. You’ll gain an education for life through relevant courses that help you reach your career goals.
Our graduate programs in school counseling, clinical counseling, and family counseling are fully accredited. We prioritize excellence and assure that our graduates are fully prepared to work as professional counselors. Our alums have become leaders in agencies, schools, and private practices.
The Professional Counseling programs are in the School of Applied Psychology and Counselor Education (APCE).
- The Professional Counseling Programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- The faculty has been recognized with the UNC Academic Excellence Award.
- Faculty members have been recognized for excellence in teaching at the College and University levels.
- Faculty members are scholars as well as teachers.
- Students see clients under live supervision in our state-of-the-art clinic.
Program Evaluation Materials
Instructional Delivery Systems
Instructional Methods: In each course a variety of instructional methods are employed, including live didactic instruction and instruction supported by online, interactive technology. No course in the Professional Counseling Master’s Programs (either on- or off-campus) offered through Applied Psychology and Counselor Education is offered completely online. The Applied Statistics and Research Methods (SRM) 600 course is offered in both face-to-face and online formats. Instructors employ a variety of teaching techniques and interventions including facilitated group discussion, lecture, demonstrations, facilitated personal reflection, and simulated activities. Students demonstrate knowledge and skill attainment through a variety of formats including individual projects, student presentations, role-play, case discussions and problem solving exercises, group work, group discussion, computer laboratory projects, discussion of empirical and internet research, and field work.