Graduate assistantships provide students the opportunity to combine theory and practice while positively contributing to UNC's educational mission. We expect graduate assistants to focus on academic coursework while growing as student affairs professionals and administrators. Each assistantship is unique and has specific requirements and varying benefits. Most assistantships are offered for a 9-10 month period during the academic year (August/September-May), although some require summer employment, which will be compensated through a separate contract and remuneration. Please see individual position descriptions for more detailed information regarding monthly stipends.
HESAL Graduate Assistantship Initiative
At this time, the 2017 UNC HESAL GA Initiative Application is closed, if you were unable to apply please contact us so we can help you determine the next best steps.
- Bear Pantry Graduate Assistant
- César Chávez Cultural Center Academic Support Graduate Assistant
- Hawaii Student Coordinator Graduate Assistantship
- Honors Scholars and Leaders Curriculum Assessment and Research Coordinator
- Housing & Residential Education, Academic Programs Graduate Assistantship
- Housing & Residential Education, Apartment Manager for Arlington Park Apartments Graduate Assistantship
- Housing & Residential Education, Diversity Mentors Graduate Assistantship
- Housing & Residential Education, Leadership Graduate Assistantship
- M.A. Graduate Assistantship for HESAL Program
- Marcus Garvey Cultural Center Graduate Assistantship
- Office of Engagement Graduate Assistant for Community and Civic Engagement
- Ph.D. Graduate Assistantship for HESAL Program
- Study Abroad and Exchange Graduate Assistantship
- University Program Council Graduate Assistant
- Veterans Services Graduate Assistantship
- Women’s Resource Center Graduate Assistantship
Campus Box 103
418 McKee Hall
All admitted HESAL students should fill out a UNC Universal Scholarship Application to be considered for scholarships and fellowships. Once the application is submitted students will be considered on an annual basis if they meet the minimum qualifications. The application is available through Ursa on the “Financial” tab. You must have a Bear number in order to apply.
HESAL Specific Scholarships
- Dr. Jack Shaw Fund in College Student Personnel Administration: Open to all HESAL students.
- Bernie Kinnick Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership Award: for HESAL Ph.D. students gathering and or analyzing data for their dissertation; shall have approval or doctoral committee to proceed with the topic for the dissertation.
- Cosmo F. & Antoinette V. Guido Research Scholarship in Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership: for HESAL Ph. D. students conducting research on issues related to diversity and social justice prior to the comprehensive exam.
- Ted Oppelt Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership Award: for HESAL Ph.D. students with 3.5+ GPA; enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours per semester.