Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Application Process
The HESAL Ph.D. program admits a cohort of 8-12 new doctoral students for the Fall Semester annually at the main campus (Greeley, CO) and every other year at the Lowry campus (Denver, CO). Applications for the Fall 2016 Lowry cohort will be accepted starting in Spring 2016. Applications may enroll in up to 9 credit hours of elective coursework as a non-degree seeking student prior to being admitted to the program.
The HESAL program has established two deadlines for reviewing applications to the Ph.D. and M.A. programs. Due to a technical glitch we have extended the priority deadline for Fall 2015 HESAL program applicants to February 6, 2015. The second is April 29, 2015.
Applications are accepted every other year for the Lowry campus cohort. The HESAL program will begin to accept applications in Spring 2016. Please check back for more information.
Note: It takes up to 20 working days for the Graduate School to set up a student record, evaluate eligibility for admission, and prepare a screening packet for our HESAL Selection Committee.
*Applicants interested in graduate assistantships should check out the new HESAL Graduate Assistantship Initiative!
General Admission Requirements:
The HESAL faculty review applications holistically and evaluate each on their merits. However, successful candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Hold a master's degree from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 3.00 or better
- Minimum GRE Scores*:
140 Quantitative 146 Verbal Reasoning Combined score of at least 297 Analytic Writing 3.5
- The Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for the University of Northern Colorado is R4074.
*A higher GRE score can compensate for a lower GPA and a higher GPA can compensate for a lower test score. For doctoral applicants who do not meet minimum requirements, the Graduate School will consider departmental recommendation for admission. A written explanation must accompany the recommendation explaining circumstances and factors considered justifying acceptance of the applicant.
Materials to be Submitted for Admission
Submit to the UNC Graduate School:
- Via the online form you will provide information for 3 recommenders (name and email). The recommenders will automatically receive an email message asking them to complete the letter of recommendation form on your behalf (this is a separate survey).
- The completed letter of recommendation and recommendation rating form will go straight to the Graduate School and will be electronically matched to your application file.
- If your recommender misplaces the link, you will just need to complete the form again.
May also be submitted to:
Campus Box 135
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639