Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Application Process
The HESAL Ph.D. program admits a cohort of 8-12 new doctoral students for the Fall Semester annually at the main campus (Greeley, CO) and every other year at the Lowry campus (Denver, CO). Applications for the Fall 2016 Lowry cohort will be accepted starting in Spring 2016. Applications may enroll in up to 9 credit hours of elective coursework as a non-degree seeking student prior to being admitted to the program.
The HESAL program has established two deadlines for reviewing Greeley-based Ph.D. and M.A.
The priority deadline for Fall 2016 is January 29, 2016. The second deadline is May 2, 2016.
Individuals interested in applying for graduate assistantships are strongly encouraged to meet the January 29 priority deadline. "The priority deadline for the Lowry Ph.D. program is May 2, 2016."
Note: It takes up to 10 working days for the Graduate School to set up a student record, evaluate eligibility for admission, and prepare a screening packet for our HESAL Selection Committee.
*Applicants interested in graduate assistantships should check out the HESAL Graduate Assistantship Initiative
General Admission Requirements:
The HESAL faculty review applications holistically and evaluate each on their merits. Exceptions to any criteria are made on a case-by-case basis. Generally, successful candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Hold a master's degree from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 3.00 or better
- Minimum GRE Scores*:
140 Quantitative 146 Verbal Reasoning Combined score of at least 297 Analytic Writing 3.5
- The Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for the University of Northern Colorado is R4074.
*A higher GRE score can compensate for a lower GPA and a higher GPA can compensate for a lower test score. For doctoral applicants who do not meet minimum requirements, the Graduate School will consider departmental recommendation for admission. Applicants’ personal statements should explain circumstances and factors that resulted in low-test scores or GPA.
Checklist of Materials to be Submitted for Admission
All materials should be submitted to the UNC Graduate School using its on-line application process:
- Via the online form you will provide information for 3 recommenders (name and email). The recommenders will automatically receive an email message asking them to complete the letter of recommendation form on your behalf (this is a separate survey).
- The completed letter of recommendation and recommendation rating form will go straight to the Graduate School and will be electronically matched to your application file.
- If your recommender misplaces the link, you will just need to complete the form again.
Individuals without access to the Internet access may send materials to:
May also be submitted to:
Campus Box 135
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639