Jeffrey A. Rings
Department of Applied Psychology and Counselor Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
248 McKee Hall, Campus Box 131
501 20th Street
The University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639
(970) 351-2625 (fax)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship; Department of Veterans Affairs, VISN 19 MIRECC
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology; University of Denver
- Predoctoral Internship; Colorado State University
- M.A. in Counseling Psychology; Northwestern University
- B.A. in Psychology; Pepperdine University
- Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
- Family Systems
- Practicum in Individual Counseling
- Psychological Trauma and Intervention
- Clinical Supervision
- Crisis Intervention
- Grief and Loss
- Peer Counseling
- Projective Assessment
- Suicide: Risk Assessment and Prevention
- Veterans Issues
- Object Relations/Psychodynamic
Sample of Publications
- Jenkins-Guarnieri, M.A., Horne, M., Wallis, A., Rings, J.A., & Vaughan, A. (in press). Quantitative Evaluation of a First Year Seminar Program: Relationships to Persistence and Academic Success. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice.
- Gutierrez, P.M., Brenner, L.A., Rings, J.A., Devore, M.D., Kelly, P., Staves, P., … Kaplan, M. (2013). A qualitative description of female Veterans’ deployment-related experiences and potential suicide risk factors. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 69(9), 923-935.
- Gutierrez, P.M., Brenner, L.A., Wortzel, H., Harwood, J.E.F., Leitner, R.A., Rings, J.A., & Bartlett, S.R. (2012). Blister packaging medication to increase treatment adherence and clinical response: Impact on suicide-related morbidity and mortality. In J. Lavigne (Ed.), Frontiers in suicide research: research, treatment, and prevention. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Rings, J.A., Alexander, P.A., Silvers, V., & Gutierrez, P.M. (2012). Adapting the Safety Planning Intervention for use in a veteran psychiatric inpatient group setting. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 34(2), 95-109.
- Rings, J.A. (2010). My time with June: Overcoming my grief and loss "expertise." In Trotter, M., Koch, J. M., Sanger, S. E. & Skovholt, T. (Eds.). Voices from the field: Defining moments in counselor and therapist development. New York: Routledge.
- Rings, J.A., Genuchi, M.C., Hall, M.D., Angelo, M.A., & Erickson-Cornish, J.A. (2009). Is there consensus among predoctoral internship training directors regarding clinical supervision competencies? A descriptive analysis. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 3, 140-147.
- Smith, R.D., Riva, M.T., & Rings, J.A. (2007). Group counseling: Activities for termination. In D. Viers (Ed.), The group therapists’ notebook: Homework, handouts, and activities for use in psychotherapy. Binghamton: Haworth Press.