Heather Helm, PhD
248 McKee Hall
Dr. Helm is a Professor of Counselor Education and Supervision and Chair of the Department of Applied Psychology and Counselor Education. She is a 2004 graduate of the University of Mississippi. Her research interests include play therapy, counselor education and supervision, child and adolescent counseling, and grief and loss.
- Stutey, D., Helm, H., Kreider, H., & LaSasso, H. (in press). Play therapy and photo-elicitation: A narrative examination of children's grief. International Journal or Play Therapy.
- Williams, A., Helm, H., Clemens, E. (2012). Examining the effect of therapist, work, and supportive factors on vicarious traumatization. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 34(2), 133-153.
- Helm, H., O'Halloran, S., & Kahlo, D. (2010). Funding training clinics. In A. K. Mobley & J. E. Myers. Developing and maintaining counselor education laboratories (2nd edition). Alexandria, VA: Association of Counselor Education and Supervision.
- Helm, H., Drewes, A., Stewart, A. (2010). Clinical play therapy supervision. International Association for Play Therapy E-Learning Institute. Association for Play Therapy E-Journal.
- Softas-Nall, B., Beadle, M., Newell, J., & Helm, H., (2008). Spousal disclosure of extramarital relationships: Attitudes of marriage and family therapists. The Family Journal, 16(8), 328-337.
- Helm, H., Snow, M., Triplett, V., Morgan, M., & Lambert, S. (2007). “Don’t talk!”: Trauma and dissociation in play therapy. In S. Dugger, S., & L. Carlson (Eds.), Critical Incident in Counseling Children, Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Steen, L., Helm, H., & Johnson, L. (2007). “But he needs me”: Responding to a child’s catastrophic illness. In S. Dugger & L. Carlson (Eds.), Critical Incidents in Counseling Children, Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Marbach, C., Helm, H., Simpson, L. (2007). “I don’t know”: Helping reluctant clients tell their stories. In S. Dugger & L. Carlson (Eds.), Critical Incidents in Counseling Children, Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Trippany, R., Helm, H., & Simpson, L. (2006). Trauma reenactment: Rethinking borderline personality disorder when diagnosing sexual abuse survivors. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 25(2), 95-110.
- Snow, M.S., Outz, R., Martin, E., Helm, H. (2005). Creative metaphors of life experiences seen in play therapy. ACA Vistas: Compelling Perspectives on Counseling. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association, 63-65.
- Beauvais, F., Thurman, P., Helm, H., Plested, B., & Burnside, M. (2004). Surveillance of drug use among American Indian adolescents: Patterns over 25 years. Journal of Adolescent Health, 34(6), 493-500.
- Snow, M.S., Helm, H., Martin, E. (2004). Play therapy as court testimony: A case study. International Journal of Play Therapy, 13(2), 75-98.
- Trippany, R., Barrios, P., Helm, H., & Rowland, K. (2004). The web: A constructivist intervention in counseling. Journal of Professional Counseling: Practice, Theory, and Research, 32(1), 30-40.
- Helm, H. (2004). School-based drug prevention: What kind of drug use does it prevent? Book review. Journal of Law and Education, 33(1), 131-133.
- Beauvais, F., Jumper-Thurman, P., Plested, B., & Helm, H. (2002). A survey of attitudes among drug user treatment providers toward the treatment of inhalant users. Substance Use & Misuse, 37(11), 1391-1410.
- Beauvais, F., Wayman, J., Jumper-Thurman, P., Plested, B., & Helm, H. (2002). Inhalant abuse among American Indian, Mexican American, and non-Latino white adolescents. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 28(1), 171-187.
- Jumper-Thurman, P., Plested, B., Edwards, R., Helm, H., & Oetting, E. (2001). Using the community readiness model in Native communities. In J.E. Trimble & F. Beauvais (Eds.), Health promotion and substance abuse prevention among American Indian and Alaska Native Communities: Issues in cultural competence (DHHS Publication No. SMA 99-3440, pp. 129-158). Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Edwards, R., Jumper-Thurman, P., Plested, B., Helm, H., Holmquist, J., Arellano, C., & Smitham, D. (2001). Intimate partner violence in rural minority communities. In Heise, L. & Michau, L. (Eds.) Global Overview on Violence Against Women. Washington, DC: Health and Development Policy Projects. Also to be published in a special edition of Johns Hopkins University’s Population Reports.
- Jumper-Thurman, P., Plested, B., Edwards, R., Helm, H., & Oetting, E. (1999). Community readiness: A promising model for community healing. In D. Bigfoot (Ed), Department of Justice Monograph.
- Jumper-Thurman, P., Slater, M., Smitham, D., Plested, B., Serrato, S., & Helm, H. (1998). Media Effort in Solvent Abuse. Pathways, Newsletter of the National Indian Child Welfare Association, Summer.
- Jumper-Thurman, P., Slater, M., Smitham, D., Serrato, S., Plested, B., & Helm, H. (1998). How effective are inhalant prevention media materials? Pathways: A Practical Forum for Services to Indian Children and Families, 13(3), 3-4.