Fred Hanna, PhD
248 McKee Hall
Fred is a professor of Counselor Education. He is a 1992 graduate of the University of Toledo. His research interests include precursors of change, Asian meditative techniques, defiant adolescents.
Selected Scholarly Activities
- Hanna, F. J. (2002). Therapy with difficult clients: Using the precursors model to awaken change. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
APA Video Published on DVD
- Hanna, F. J. (2009). Treatment with defiant and aggressive adolescents. (Audio visual recording DVD package, an installment of the APA Psychotherapy Video Series IX on children and adolescents). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Peer Reviewed Professional Journal Articles
- Hanna, F. J., & Cardona, B. (2013). Multicultural counseling beyond the relationship: Expanding the repertoire with techniques. Journal of Counseling & Development, 91, 349-357.
- Hanna, F. J. (2011). Freedom: Toward an integration of the counseling profession. Counselor Education and Supervision, 50, 362-385.
- Guindon, M. H., Green, A., & Hanna, F. J. (2003). Intolerance and psychopathology: Toward a general diagnosis for racism, sexism, and homophobia. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 73(2), 167-176.
- Hanna, F. J., Talley, W. B., & Guindon, M. H. (2000). The power of perception: Toward a model of cultural oppression and liberation. Journal of Counseling and Development, 78(4), 430-431.
- Hanna, F. J., & Hunt, W. P. (1999). Techniques for psychotherapy with defiant, aggressive adolescents. Psychotherapy, 36(1), 56-68.
- Hanna, F. J., Hanna, C. A., & Keys, S. G. (1999). Fifty strategies for counseling defiant and aggressive adolescents: Reaching, accepting, and relating. Journal of Counseling and Development, 77(4), 395-404.
- Hanna, F. J., Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C. (1999). Toward a new paradigm for multicultural counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 77(2), 125-134.
- Ottens, A. J., & Hanna, F. J. (1998). Cognitive and existential therapies: Toward an integration. Psychotherapy, 35, 312-324.