Assistant Professor of Applied Psychology and Counselor Education
Professional Counseling, Counselor Education and Supervision
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Applied Psychology and Counselor Education
Campus Box 131
Greeley, CO 80639
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision, Georgia State University
- Ed.S. in Professional Counseling, Georgia State University
- M.S. in Professional Counseling, Georgia State University
- B.F.A in Photography, The Art Institute of Atlanta
Assistant Professor, University of Northern Colorado
Instructor, Georgia State University
Counselor, Private Practice (GA)
Mental Health Counselor, Serenity Center (GA)
Primary Counselor, Metro Atlanta Recovery Residences (GA)
Research/Areas of Interest
- LGBTQ+ youth
- Creative approaches to counseling
- Traditional and creative approaches to qualitative research
- Humanis, feminist, and queer theories
- Wood, L., Smith, J., Varjas, K., & Meyers, J. (2016). Empowering Upstanders: Class-wide Approach to Promoting
Positive Bystander Behavior. School Psychology Forum: Research In Practice, 10, 66-77.
- Smith, J. A., Chang, C. Y., & Orr, J. J. (under review). A Phenomenological Investigation: Microaggressions
and Counselors-in-Training. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health.
- Wood, L., Smith, J. A., Varjas, K., & Meyers, J. (accepted). School Personnel Social Support and Nonsupport
for Bystanders: Exploring Student Perspectives. Journal of School Psychology.
- Smith, J. A. & Chang, C. Y. (2015). Acting as a Theorist. In M. Luke, & K. M. Goodrich (Eds.),
Group Experts Share Their Favorite Activities for Supervision, Volume 1 (pp. 214-216). Association for Specialists in Group Work.