Associate Professor of Applied Psychology and Counselor Education
Professional Counseling, Counseling Psychology
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Applied Psychology and Counselor Education
Campus Box 131
Greeley, CO 80639
- Postdoctoral Fellowship; Department of Veterans Affairs, VISN 19 MIRECC
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology; University of Denver
- Predoctoral Internship; Colorado State University
- M.A. in Counseling Psychology; Northwestern University
- B.A. in Psychology; Pepperdine University
2016-Present Associate Professor (tenured), University of Northern Colorado, Counseling
Psychology: Teaching, Research, Service, Supervision
2011-2016 Assistant Professor, University of Northern Colorado, Counseling Psychology:
Teaching, Research, Service, Supervision
2009-2011 Instructor, University of Colorado, Denver, School of Medicine, Psychiatry:
2009-2011 VA VISN 19 MIRECC, Denver, CO, Postdoctoral Fellow: Research, Assessment
2006-2007 University of Denver, Instructor, Center for Innovative and Talented Youth:
Research/Areas of Interest
- Clinical Supervision
- Crisis Intervention
- Grief and Loss
- Peer Counseling
- Projective Assessment
- Suicide: Risk Assessment and Prevention
- Veterans' Issues
- Schenck, L.K., Eberle, K., & Rings, J.A. (2015). Insecure attachment styles and complicated
grief severity: Applying what we know to inform future directions. Omega: The Journal of Death and Dying. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/0030222815576124
- Genuchi, M.C., Rings, J.A., Germek. M.D., & Erikson Cornish, J.A. (2015). Clinical supervisors' perceptions
of the clarity and comprehensiveness of the Supervision Competencies Framework. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 9(1), 68-76.
- Rings, J.A., Gutierrez, P.M., & Forster, J. (2014). Exploring prolonged grief disorder
and its relationship to suicidal ideation among veterans. Military Behavioral Health, 2, 283-292.
- Jenkins-Guarnieri, M.A., Horne, M., Wallis, A., Rings, J.A., & Vaughan, A. (in press). Quantitative Evaluation of a First Year Seminar Program:
Relationships to Persistence and Academic Success. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice.
- Gutierrez, P.M., Brenner, L.A., Rings, J.A., Devore, M.D., Kelly, P., Staves, P., … Kaplan, M. (2013). A qualitative description
of female Veterans’ deployment-related experiences and potential suicide risk factors.
Journal of Clinical Psychology, 69(9), 923-935.
Honors and Awards
Outstanding Teacher of the Year (2016-2017): UNC College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
Special Recognition (2006): DU Problem Gambling Treatment and Research Center