University of Northern Colorado
Professional Counseling, Counselor Education and Supervision
Campus Box 131
Greeley, CO 80639
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision; University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS
- M.A. in Counseling, Mental Health Track; University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS (CACREP
- B.S. in Psychology; Washington State University, Pullman, WA
2014-Present Professor, University of Northern, Colorado: Teaching, Research, and
2009-2014 Associate Professor, University of Northern Colorado: Teaching, Research,
2004-2009 Assistant Professor, University of Northern Colorado: Teaching, Research,
2001-2004 Therapist and Supervisor, University Counseling Center: Counseling and
2001-2004 Counselor/Research and Grants Coordinator, Oxford Play Therapy Training
Institute: Counseling, Supervision and Research
Research/Areas of Interest
- Adolescent Aggression
- Imposter Syndrome
- Play Therapy Outcome Research
- Trauma Reenactment and Secondary Trauma
- The Doctoral Student Experience
- Play Therapy Supervision
- Campus Connections
- Stutey, D., Helm, H., Kreider, H., Dietz, H., (accepted for publication). Play therapy and photo-elicitation: A narrative examination
of children’s grief. International Journal of Play Therapy.
- Williams, A., Helm, H., Clemens, E. (2012). Examining the effect of therapist, work, and supportive factors
on vicarious traumatization. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 34(2), 133-153.
- Helm, H., O'Halloran, S., & Kahlo, D. (2010). Funding training clinics. In A. K. Mobley & J.
E. Myers. Developing and maintaining counselor education laboratories (2nd edition). Alexandria, VA: Association of Counselor Education and Supervision.
- Helm, H., Drewes, A., Stewart, A. (2010). Clinical play therapy supervision. International Association for Play Therapy E-Learning Institute. Association for Play Therapy E-Journal.
Honors and Awards
- National Service Award, International Association for Play Therapy, October, 2009
- Provost Award, Teaching Excellence in Graduate Education, University of Northern Colorado,
- Outstanding Teacher, College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, May 2007