Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a series of frequently asked questions regarding the Canvas Learning Management System at the University of Northern Colorado. If your question is not addressed below, please visit the User Support page. Click here to visit the Canvas User Support page.
- As a student, how do I find and access a past, current, or future course in Canvas?
All courses (past, current and future), are available within the All Courses menu in Canvas. The courses status below relates to course participation availability and is dependent on the scheduled start and end dates for that section.
Past courses are accessible unless the instructor has restricted access to that particular course. Once a course concludes it will be removed from your dashboard unless you have explicitly favorited that course. Once a course concludes, participation is restricted automatically.
Future courses are visible from the All Courses menu, under Future Enrollments. These courses are not available until the instructor publishes the course and will automatically move your dashboard upon the scheduled start date unless you have favorited another course. Participation is restricted until the scheduled start date.
Current courses are visible from the All Courses menu, and appear on your Dashboard unless you have favorited another course. The instructor must publish the course before students can access it.
- As an instructor, how do I add a guest or assistant to a course in Canvas?
Only students that have officially registered and the instructor of record are automatically enrolled in a course in Canvas. The appropriate college’s Course Scheduler must individually approve each additional enrollment.
- As an instructor, how do I publish my course in Canvas?
Click here to learn how to publish a course in Canvas. Students cannot access a course until it is published.
- As an instructor, how do I message an entire class in Canvas?
Click here to learn how to send a message to all of the students in the class at once. To do so, the course must be in a published state.
- As an instructor, how do I restrict students from seeing my course in Canvas after
After a course’s scheduled end date participation is prevented, but students will continue to have view access to the course. To override this setting enable the “Restrict students from viewing course after end date” setting in the course details. Click here to learn more about student access after course end dates.
- As an instructor, how do I copy content between courses?
Click here to learn how to copy content to a course, from another course. This method works well when you have access to the shell of the original content being copied.
- As an instructor, when can students view my course?
Students can view a course as soon as it is published, up to 30 days before the start of the associated term.
- As an instructor, when will I have access to my future courses in Canvas?New courses will be available in Canvas 120 days before the start of the term.