Below you will find the FAQ's UNC faculty requests the most.
- How do I sign in to Canvas?
You can sign in to Canvas by using the URL canvas.unco.edu. Please bookmark this URL.
- I can't login to Canvas, what do I do?
Before contacting the Technical Support Center, make sure you are using the correct Canvas web address. The updated and correct address is: http://canvas.unco.edu.
- How do I migrate my Blackboard courses to Canvas?
You can follow the steps provided in this BB to Canvas guide or if you need assitance with migrating content please contact the TSC.
- How do I get training to learn more about Canvas?
- How do the tools in Blackboard compare to the tools in Canvas?
Tool in Blackboard Tool in Canvas Announcements Announcements Items Pages Content Areas Modules Menus Modules Folders Modules/Text Headers Assignments Assignments Quizzes Quizzes Question Pools Question Banks Groups Groups Rubrics Rubrics (Need Revision) Web Links External URL's
- What items/tools do not come over in the migration from Bb to Canvas?
Student InformationDownload any previous gradebooks and any student work you
Blogs, Journal, Wikis
Copy and paste content into Content Pages, and rebuild using discussions and/or groups.
Copy and paste YouTube URL’s and open using YouTube tool on Content Pages.
Locate MP3 file in Files, and re-link on content page.
Hot spot, either/or, and
quiz bowl questions
These question types don’t exist in Canvas. You will want to copy and paste these questions into your files so you have them, and then redesign for Canvas.
This question type is different. Double check your matching questions to be sure everything came over.
Quiz point values
Double check all question point values for accuracy.
Links to Quiz Pools
Check all quizzes that are derived from Pools and re-establish the link to Canvas’ Question Banks.
Canvas does not have this tool. If you have a Glossary, create a glossary module and move all glossary item pages into the module. Copy and paste each item onto one page. Work with IDD if you have a large glossary.
Anything associated with student data will not come over. If you have instructions or content in Bb groups, copy that information so you have it when you construct your groups in Canvas.
Calculated columns in Grade Book
The Grade Book in Canvas is different. To ease the transition, scan through Canvas’ grade book guides.
- What browsers work with Canvas?
UNC recommends to use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari for using Canvas. If you want a more detailed description of browsers visit the Canvas Browser guide.
- How do I copy/migrate content from one Canvas course to another?
In order to do this, open the Canvas guide on how to import content from another course or watch this video below.
- How do I setup Journals for my students?
- How do I give my students extra attempts in a quiz/test?
- How do I give my students more time to answer a quiz/test?
- I can't see my course in Canvas, what do I do?
- Are there Canvas resources available online?The Canvas Guides website is an excellent resource to learn features on your own.
- How do I set my notification preferences?To set your notifications, open the setting notifications Canvas guide. Be aware that Canvas will always send notification to the students' bearmail even if they added a secondary account. Other recommendations are to write notifications expectations in the course or syllabus.
- How do I support my students when using Canvas?
- Can I use Canvas Mobile to teach my course?Yes. You can download the canvas mobile app. Be aware that the app does have limited functionality, make sure to look at the Canvas Mobile Features document and see if the features in your mobile device meet your needs.
- Can I grade using my mobile device?Yes, you will need to download the Speedgrader app in your corresponding marketplace. Open the Speedgrader support page to look at the iOS and Android Guides.
- How do I publish grades to Banner?
If your institution is using Banner as a Student Information System (SIS), you can use the Gradebook to pass final grades back to Banner. Banner must be preconfigured for your account to use this feature. Additionally, course grading scheme must be enabled to publish letter grades. Verify you have an enabled course grading scheme. When grades are sent, Canvas will immediately initiate the grades transfer, but you may need to wait a few minutes before data appears in Banner. Grades can be re-published with new grade values to Banner until the grades are rolled. Note: If the Publish Grades to SIS option is not available to you, please contact the Technical Support Center at 970-351-4357, send an email to email@example.com, submit a support ticket to the support site.
If you are intersted in looking at a step by step guide, please download the how to publish grades to banner guide.
- I need to enroll a GA/TA in my course, how do I do that?In order to enroll a GTA in a course, open the GTA survey and complete a request. Once the request has been processed, your course scheduler will contact you with a resolution.
- How do I use Canvas on an Android device?
Canvas works a little different that in an iOS device. Take a look at the Canvas for Android video tutorial and see it in the works. If somehow your app does not look the same, we found that you could close the first page once you open a course in your dashboard, and it will take to the course menu. If you keep having issues, contact the Technical Support Center.
- When I went to set up the VeriCite external tool it was missing and/or when publishing I received an error message "Couldn't find valid settings for this link". What happened?
- I want to use VeriCite in my course. What resources do you have that can help me learn how to use it?