Blackboard to Canvas
Export a course from Blackboard
- Under the Control Panel, navigate at the bottom of the sidebar on the left.
- Select Packages and Utilities > Export/Archive Course.
- Click the appropriate button a the top, Export or Archive.
- If you want to transfer materials to a course in Canvas, choose Export.
- If you want to preserve an exact replica of your course, including student enrollment and work, choose Archive.
- At the following screen, scroll to Section 2: File Attachments. Make sure Copy links and include copies of the files in the course default directory and Copy links and include copies of files outside of the course default directory are selected:
- Under Section 3, Choose the sections you wish to include. [Select All is recommended]
- Select All is preferred. This setting will gather all content areas, tests, rubrics, files and settings.
- If you choose individual sections, we recommend all content areas and settings.
- Submit the form. Look for a message in a green bar at the top of the page saying that the action has been queued.
- Check your email for a message from Blackboard that the process has been completed,
or click on the Refresh button until the export link appears on the screen.
- Depending on the size of your course, this process could take up to an hour.
- If you left the page, navigate back to Control Panel > Packages and Utilities > Export/Archive Course.
- Click the link to download the zip file to your local computer.
Note: If you are using a Mac computer and using Safari, you need to check your preferences to prevent your computer from opening the .zip file. To change this preference: open Safari > Safari Preferences (⌘,). Under the General Tab at the bottom of the options, uncheck the open "safe" files after downloading.
Import a course to Canvas
- Open the course you want to import the information to.
- Select the course Settings located at the bottom of the course Navigation.
- On the right side of the Settings menu, select Import Content Into this Course.
- On the Import Content page, for the content type select "Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file."
- Click on "Browse" and select the file you have just saved to your computer.
- Click the appropriate options on the content section are, All Content or Specific Content.
- When selecting All Content all individual items will turn into pages. Assignments, discussions, tests, rubrics, test banks/pools will be imported into the course.
- When selecting Specific Content, Canvas will import the content first, and after you will have the opportunity to select individual items like menus, assignments, tests, discussions, items, or files in the course to be imported individually.
- Import the content. Canvas will run the import process in the background.
If you still need assistance with the process, please contact the Technical Support Center at 970-351-4357 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.