How to Organize a Food Drive
- Designate a contact person for your organization.
- Send in or e-mail the information on the agreement form by October 1; donation drop-off deadline is October 15 during Homecoming Week.
- Make sure you have boxes, barrels or any container for can/non-perishable food collection. Label the collection container with the name of your student organization, fraternity, sorority, college, residential hall, athletic team, academic department, etc. Also, the contact person should be responsible for keeping the cash until drop-off day October 15 — or he/she should designate someone to act as “banker.” Remember each $1 is equal to 6 pounds of food, and homecoming points are available.
- Decide on a location to place your container(s)—somewhere noticeable and safe!
- Come up with creative ways to collect canned food and cash; consider challenging another group or organization. (Suggestions for challenges are included on the Web site.)
- Deliver you containers of canned food/cash to the lot west of Candelaria between 9 am and 2 pm October 15. Look for the tent.
- No 10-pound cans; these are too big for families!
- peanut butter
- canned meat
- canned fruits and vegetables
**remember not everything has to be canned; boxes and jars are accepted**
**Please don’t bring expired products, bulging/dented/rusty cans, or opened boxes**