UNC Campus Recreation full-time staff abide by the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) code of ethics.
NIRSA MEMBER CODE OF ETHICS
An outstanding characteristic of a profession is that its members are continually striving to improve the quality of life for the population they serve. In making the choice to affiliate with a professional association, individuals assume the responsibility to conduct themselves in accordance with the ideals and standards set by the organization. For NIRSA members, this means they will strive to uphold the Bylaws in a manner illustrated in the Code of Ethics.
The NIRSA member in fulfilling professional obligations, shall:
- Seek to extend public awareness of the profession and its achievements.
- Be true in writing, reporting and duplicating information and give proper credit to the contributions of the others.
- Encourage integrity by avoiding involvement or condoning activities that may degrade the Association, its members or any affiliate agency.
- Perform dutifully the responsibilities of professional membership and of any offices or assignments to which appointed or elected.
- Encourage cooperation with other professional associations, educational institutions and agencies.
- Practice nondiscrimination on the basis of diversity related to age, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
The NIRSA member in relations with employers and employees staff, shall:
- Promote and implement the concept of equal opportunity and fairness in employment practices and program administration.
- Refrain from exploiting individuals, institutions or agencies for personal or professional gain.
- Secure the trust of employees by maintaining, in confidence, privileged information until properly released.
- Support the contributions of fellow employees by properly crediting their achievements.
- Assist and encourage the education of employees in the area of professional development.
The NIRSA member in providing programs and services, shall:
- Endeavor to offer the safest and highest quality program achievable with available resources.
- Take responsibility for employing qualified individuals in positions that require special credentials and/or experience.
- Strive to keep abreast of current skills and knowledge and encourage innovation in programming and administration.
- Promote integrity by accepting gratuities for service of no more than nominal value.
- Encourage promotion of the ideals of Recreational Sports by incorporating such values as sportsmanship, fair play, participation, and an atmosphere which promotes equitable opportunity for all.