Fitness and Wellness
The UNC Fitness and Wellness program provides integrated programs, resources and services, in order to promote healthy lifestyles, create opportunities for positive behavior modification, and enhance student academic success.
- Create a supportive environment and ensure every participant has a positive and successful experience.
- Educate participants to broaden knowledge and increase awareness.
- Assess participant needs and provide appropriate activities and services.
- Offer programs and services that reflect current industry trends.
- Provide professional development opportunities for staff and participants, in order to provide the highest quality of service possible.
We are committed to embracing the Standards of Practice for Health Promotion in Higher Education, as outlined by the American College Health Association:
- Standard 1. Integration with the Learning Mission of Higher Education
- Standard 2. Collaborative Practice
- Standard 3. Cultural Competence
- Standard 4. Theory-Based Practice
- Standard 5. Evidence-Based Practice
- Standard 6. Continuing Professional Development and Service
American College of Sports Medicine
- Moderate intensity cardiovascular exercise 30 minutes per day, five days per week, or
- Vigorous intensity cardiovascular exercise 20 minutes per day, three days per week , and
- Eight to ten strength-training exercises, with 8-12 repetitions of each exercise, two times per week