Start a New Club
How to Start a Club Sport:
- First meet with the Graduate Assistant of Club Sports to assess the interest and feasibility of forming a club.
- A club constitution is required to be submitted. Club operational by-laws should also be established.
- The club must prove it has at least 10 members willing to pay dues and follow the club’s by-laws and constitution.
- The club must prove there is interested, involved and committed student leadership capable of organizing and leading the club. For competitive sports, the club must show they have a coach with acceptable skills and knowledge to assist the club in developing their competitive abilities. For instructional sports, the club must have instructors who are skilled and certified to be teaching their activity.
- When applying for recognition as a club sport, the following areas will be reviewed prior to making a decision: NCAA sanctioning; peer institution involvement; availability for regional competition; fiscal, physical, and personnel resources; and a complete risk management assessment.
- The club must submit an operational budget for the first year of their existence. They must show how they are going to raise these funds and how they will be managed. Depending on what time of year a club is established, they will be ineligible for Club Sport funding for one year from the recognition of the club.
- All clubs are required to have a faculty or staff advisor. The club is responsible for arranging and locating this advisor.
- Following the comprehensive review and approval from the Department of Campus Recreation, pending clubs will be forwarded to the Student Representative Council to complete the UNC chartering process.
For more information please contact the Graduate Assistant of Club Sports, Mallory Jordan.