FAQ: Memberships & Facility
- How do I get a membership?
Full and part-time students pay for their memberships through student fees. Faculty, staff, retired employees, alumni, and UNC affiliates can purchase a membership at the Rec Center Entry Desk. Payment for memberships can be made by cash, check, or credit card. Payroll deduction is available for current faculty or staff.
- Are spouses/partners and dependents allowed to join?
Faculty and staff members or fee-paying students can purchase a membership for their spouse or domestic partner. Documentation is required in order to purchase memberships. Dependents under the age of 18 can visit the Rec Center with their guardian for $3 per day.
- May I bring a guest to the Rec Center?
Members may bring a guest. A one-day guest pass can be purchased for $5.00 at the entry desk. You must provide your UNC ID in order to purchase this pass.
- Why isn't the Rec Center free for UNC faculty and staff?
Campus Recreation is 100% student fee funded. We receive no state dollars. In order to operate efficiently we have to charge for memberships.
- Can students use the Rec Center over the summer if they are not taking summer classes?
Yes, UNC students can purchase a summer membership as long as they show proof of being registered in the spring semester prior to that summer AND the following fall semester. We cannot start a membership for new Fall semester students (freshmen or transfers) during the summer.
- Why does the Rec Center have to close periodically throughout the year?
Campus Recreation is a student supported center with limited resources. It is necessary to schedule around the needs of our students. The Rec Center does have to close during times when there isn't heavy student use so that equipment repairs can be made and floors throughout the building can be cleaned and varnished. Heavy duty cleaning and repairs are made during closing periods so that members can work out in a safe, clean and well-maintained facility.
- When is the best time to work out?Monday through Friday from 6am-2pm usually has less student usage. The weekends are also a good time unless there is a special event scheduled.
- Can spaces in the Rec Center be rented?The meeting rooms, gymnasiums and climbing wall are available to rent. A facility request form must be filled out. There are charges for on-campus and off-campus groups and a 2-week notice is strongly recommended. This will allow the Rec Center staff time to help you plan your event and offer any assistance that might be needed so that your event does go smoothly. Rental rates are available at the administrative office.