Biology News and Events
Seminars on various topics of biology are presented by invited speakers each week on Friday at 3:35 PM in Ross Hall room 1010.
Faculty and staff awards and achievements
- Three biology faculty members received College awards of Excellence this year:
- Cindy Budde wins Support Staff of the Year award from the College of Natural and Health Sciences
- Bioblitz! Biology faculty participate in the Rocky Mountain National Park Bioblitz.
- Rick Adams is the recipient of the UNC Winchester Distinguished Scholar Award for 2013, and he has been interviewed by numerous news organizations (Popular science, Denver 9 News, The Denver Post, The Boulder Daily Camera, The Daily Finance) for his thoughts on an emerging disease that is devastating bat populations in the U.S.
- Dr. Patrick Burns was recently featured in the Greeley Tribune newspaper because of his research into improving reproductive efficiency in cattle.
- Dr. Mackessy was recently interviewed by KDVR Fox News to highlight his research on snake venoms as potential therapies for cancer, and his research was also featured on the Discovery Channel.
- Dr. Robert Reinsvold received the Excellence in Science Education 2012 Award from the Colorado Association of Science Teachers.
- Dr. Tony Schountz has accepted a new position at Colorado State University as of August, 2013.
New faculty starting fall, 2013
- Dr. Sue Ellen DeChenne -- expertise in biological education
- Dr. Seth Frietze -- expertise in molecular and cellular biology
Brains and brawn award
Congratulations go to Ben Packard, a student in the biology Master's of Biomedical Sciences program, who was selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America for the 2013 Capital One Academic All-District® Baseball Team. This is the second year that Ben has been selected for this honor!
Biology student research awards -- 2013
- Elyse Blazosky
- Lindsay Cameron
- Brittany Hartman
- Ellie Wenger
- Michael Kelly
- Lowrey Brown
- Jonna Leyrer
- Nash Vera Pikalova
Biology student presentation awards -- 2013
- Riane Teagarden and Jerica Lenberg, First Place poster presentation, Rocky Mountain Branch, American Society of Microbiologists spring meeting
- Elizabeth Maxey, First Place poster, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
- Anna Caudillo, Finalist, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
- Anthony Saviola, First Place, Biology Symposium, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
- Richard Carter, Finalist, Biology Symposium, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
- Nat Warning, Finalist, Biology Symposium, University of Northern Colorado Research Celebration
Academic scholarship awards
- Karen Allnutt
- Kelli Johnson
- Carissa King
- Riane Teagarden
- Kelsey Gonzales
- Stephanie Dormand
- Kelsie Goc
- Jennifer Mercadante
- Ian Roberts
- Megan Wilkinson