Dr. Robert Reinsvold, Associate Professor
- Ph.D.: Purdue University, Forest Biology
- M.S.: Colorado State University, Mycology
- B.A.: Humboldt State University, Biology
- B.A.: Humboldt State University, Botany
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (970) 351-3076
- Fax: (970) 351-2335
- Office: Ross Hall 1536
- Office hours: by appointment
Courses taught | Links | Research interests | Honors & awards | Publications & presentations
Courses taught recently
- BIO 111 (Survey of Organismal Biology)
- BOT 337/537 (Morphogenesis of Algae and Fungi)
- BIO 465 (Evolution)
- SCED 441 (Methods of Teaching Secondary School Science)
- SCED 560 (Principles & Teaching of Ecology)
- SCED 564 (Principles & Teaching of Evolution)
- SCI 465 (Principles of Scientific Inquiry)
Links to other web sites
Research interests and professional activities
- 2013 -- Recipient of University of Northern Colorado university-wide Excellence in Faculty Advisement Award for 2013.
- 2013 -- Recipient of College of Natural and Health Sciences Excellence in Advising Award for 2012-2013.
- 2012 -- Colorado Association of Science Teachers (CAST) Excellence in Science Education Award for 2012 at the College Level
- 2010 -- Recipient of Mortar Board Favorite Professor Award for exemplary teaching ability and noteworthy devotion to the overall advancement of students
- 2010 -- Recipient of First Year Scholars Outstanding Faculty: award selected by first year students at UNC
- 2009 -- Recipient of 2008-2009 Excellence in Teaching for College of Natural and Health Sciences
- 2006 -- Colorado Facilitator Leadership Award for Project Wild, PLT, and Project Wet
- 2002 -- Most Inspirational Teacher, Awarded by AMOEBA, Biology Student Association, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Northern Colorado
- 2002 -- Teaching Excellence Award, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Northern Colorado.
- 2000 -- Samuel N. Postlethwait Award from Botanical Society of America for Exceptional Teaching and National Leadership (National Award)
- 2000 -- Runner-up for Four-Year College Biology Teaching Award for NABT (National Association of Biology Teachers)
- 2000 -- Summer Research Professor, Academic Affairs and Graduate School, UNC
- 1999 -- Mortar Board Favorite Professor, UNC
- 1999 -- Summer Research Professor, Academic Affairs and Graduate School, UNC
- 1999 -- College Excellence in Advising and Services Award, College of Arts and Sciences, UNC
- 1996 -- Commendation for Service to Students by women of Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority
- 1994 -- Recognized by Weld County District 6 School Board for Exceptional Service in Promoting Educational Technology
Recent publications and professional presentations
- Reinsvold, R. J., Reinsvold, L. A., Craviotto, C. and Middleton, V. 2013. The Noyce Scholarship Program of the University of Northern Colorado. 2012 Noyce Conference, Washington DC May 2013.
- Reinsvold, R., Reinsvold, L. and Stahl, K. 2013. University-School District Partnerships to Address Recruitment of Next Generation of Science Teachers. National Science Teacher Association (NSTA) Regional Meeting in Denver, CO Dec 2013
- Gray, D., Reinsvold, R. and Romero, D. 2013. Reclaiming our teaching and learning roots. The SoTL Commons: A International Conference for Scholarship of Teaching & Learning. Savannah, GA. 27-29 March 2013.
- Reinsvold, R. J., Reinsvold, L. A., Craviotto, C. and Middleton, V. 2012. The Noyce Scholarship Program of the University of Northern Colorado. National Science Foundation Grant #1035333. 2012 Noyce Conference, Washington DC May 2012.
- Gardiner, C. S., Adams, R. A., DeKrey, G. K., Reinsvold, R. J., Reinsvold, L. A., and Sexton, J. M. 2012. Recruitment and retention of Biology majors. National Science Foundation Grant #0622421. 2012 Division of Undergraduate Education (DUE) STEP Grantee Meeting, March 2012.
- Reinsvold, R., Werst, B., Schaffer, M., Smith, L., Pitot, L., Swartz, D., and Anastasia, J. 2012. Teaching controversial subjects in the K-12 classroom. Panel discussion for the Colorado Science Education Network Meeting on 16 Feb 2012. Ft. Collins, CO.
- Reinsvold, R. J., Reinsvold, L. A. Adams, W., and Sexton, J. 2012. Preparing the next generation of science teachers. Colorado Science Conference for Professional Development. Denver, CO Nov 16, 2012
- Reinsvold, R. J. 2012. 30 demos in 50 minutes. Colorado Science Conference for Professional Development. Denver, CO Nov 16, 2012.
- Galovich, C., Adams, W. K. and Reinsvold, R. 2012. Secondary Teacher Preparation at the University of Northern Colorado. American Association of Physics Teachers Meeting, 2012, Philadelphia, PA.
- Reinsvold, R. J. 2012. Soil, Sand, and Crops: Dearfield's Ecological and Agricultural Landscape. Dearfield Dream Conference. 18 Feb 2012. Greeley, CO.
- Reinsvold, R., Stapleton, J. and Ellis, B. 2011. A Darwinian Conversation. A panel discussion on the history, science and theology behind the evolution controversy presented at the High Plains Chautauqua, a living history festival. Greeley, CO 5 Aug 2011.
- Reinsvold, R. J. 2011. 30 demos in 50 minutes. Colorado Science Conference for Professional Development. Denver, CO Nov 18, 2011
- Reinsvold, R.J., Reinsvold, L. Medford, J. Craviotto, C, and Middleton, V. 2011. The Noyce Scholarship Program of the University of Northern Colorado. National Science Foundation Grant #1035333. Noyce Conference in Washington DC, July 2011.
- Gardiner CS, Adams RA, DeKrey GK, Reinsvold RJ, Sexton, JM, and Russell, C. 2011. Increasing student graduation in the Biological Sciences. National Science Foundation Grant #0622421. 2011 Division of Undergraduate Education (DUE) STEP Grantee Meeting, March 2011.
- Junne, G., Afoaka, O., Reinsvold, R. and Corman R. 2010. Dearfield: Black Home on the Prairie. Chapter In Aldama, A.J., Facio, E. Maeda, D. and Rabaka, R. (eds.) Enduring Legacies: Ethnic Histories and Cultures of Colorado. University Press of Colorado, Boulder, CO. ISBN 978-1-60732-049. Soon to be published in Dec 2010.
- Reinsvold, R. J. 2010. 30 demos in 50 minutes. Colorado Science Conference for Professional Development. Denver, CO Nov 19, 2010
- Reinsvold, R. J. 2010. Dearfield, CO. Filmed interview for a PBS Documentary on Dearfield, CO: the early 20th Century African American colony located east of Greeley, CO
- Reinsvold, R. J. 2010. The status of Colorado Science and Mathematics Education. Interviewed by KUSA 9News reporter Nelson Garcia in a video piece "CSAP Scores: Low across the state." Aired August 11, 2010.
- Reinsvold, R. J. 2009. Using student achievement data and the Backward Design Model to improve secondary science instruction. Colorado Science Education Network. Poudre Learning Center, Greeley, CO April 2009.
- Reinsvold, L. and Reinsvold, R. 2009. Using Backward Design with student data to inform instruction. Colorado Science Conference. Denver, CO
- Beckman, A., R. Reinsvold, and L. Reinsvold. 2007. Using GIS to enhance critical thinking. National Science Teacher Association Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Reinsvold, L., T. Higgins, R. Reinsvold, R. Tschillard, and M. Christiansen. 2007. Establishment of a Northern Colorado Coordinated Education Framework for Math and Science. National Science Teacher Association Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Higgins, T., R. Reinsvold, and M. Richards. 2007. Preparing student teachers to teach science in the NCLB world. National Science Teacher Association Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Levetin, E., K. McMahon, and R. Reinsvold. 2002. Applied Botany. McGraw Hill Publishing, Boston, MA. ISBN 0-07-246548-4.
- Reinsvold, R. T. Hinz, M. Buck, and G. Saunders. 2001. The environmental effects of magnesium chloride used for road dust control in Rocky Mountain National Park. Final report prepared for Rocky Mountain National Park, NPS, USDI, under cooperative agreement number CA 1268-1-9012, task agreement number UNC-13, Project number ROMO-R00-0033.
- Reinsvold, R. J. 1999. Why study plants? Why not? Science Activities 36:3-5.
- Reinsvold, R. J. 1998. Diversity of Plants, Fungi, and Microbes. Second Ed. Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., Dubuque, IA.
- Reinsvold, R.J. 1997. What your life will be like for the first years. Chapter 2 In: G. Uno (ed.) Handbook on teaching undergraduate science courses: A survival training manual. A user's guide to developing quality courses in under undergraduate biology. University of Oklahoma Printing Services.