- Postdoctoral training: Ecological genetics, University of South Dakota, Department of Biology (2005-2008)
- Ph.D.: Botany, Claremont Graduate University/Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, Claremont, CA (2005)
- B.A.: Biology, Reed College, Portland, OR (1999)
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (970) 351-2139
- Fax: (970) 351-2335
- Office: Ross Hall 1560
- Office hours: by appointment
- Course web site: Coming soon...
- Laboratory web site:http://www.unco.edu/mcglaughlinlab/
- Plant Systematics (BIO 330/530)
Course web site: Coming soon...
Plant phylogeography on the California Channel Islands; Adaptive evolution in the Hawaiian silversword alliance; Conservation Genetics; Plant Speciation.
Laboratory web site: http://www.unco.edu/mcglaughlinlab/
External grant awards
- 2009-2012 -- NSF-Division of Environmental Biology - Population and Evolutionary Processes - ($145,070) "The role of isolation in species diversification; insights into dispersal and evolution of endemic Lotus from the California Channel Islands."
- 2001-2004 -- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Summer Research Award, ($2500 per year)
- 2001-2003 -- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Research & Travel Award ($9500)
Internal grant awards
- Cynthia Lee Smith Botany Award, 2004 ($5200)
- Claremont Graduate University, Graduate Student Council Travel Award, 2005 ($400), 2004 ($600), 2001 ($500)
- Plant Speciation Symposium Grant, 2003 ($600)
- Howard & Phoebe Brown Graduate Program Award, 2002 ($1550)
- Goldhamer Scholarship Award, 2002 ($1300)
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Alumni Award, 2000 ($600)
- Hughes Undergraduate Research Project, 1998 ($3000)
- Sandy River Gorge Study Award, 1998 ($3000)
- Botanical Society of America Margaret Menzel Award, 2005
- California Botanical Society Best Completed Research Award, 2001
- Reed College Award for Academic Achievement, 1999
- McGlaughlin, M.E. in press. A conservation plan for Xylorhiza cognata (Asteraceae). Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Occasional Publications.
- Friar, E.A., L.M. Prince, J.M. Cruse-Sanders, M.E. McGlaughlin, C.A. Butterworth, and B.G. Baldwin. in press. Hybrid origin and genomic mosaicism of Dubautia scabra (Hawaiian Silversword Alliance; Asteraceae--Madiinae). Systematic Botany.
- McGlaughlin, M.E., L.E. Wallace, and K. Helenurm. 2008. Isolation of microsatellite loci from the endangered plant Sibara filifolia (Brassicaceae). Molecular Ecology Resources 8: 367-369.
- McGlaughlin M.E, and E.A. Friar. 2007. Clonality in the endangered Ambrosia pumila (Asteraceae) inferred from RAPD markers; implications for conservation and management. Conservation Genetics 8: 319-330.
- Friar, E.A., J.E. Cruse-Sanders, and M.E. McGlaughlin. 2007. Gene flow in Dubautia arborea and D. ciliolata: the roles of ecology and isolation by distance in maintaining species boundaries despite ongoing hybridization. Molecular Ecology 16: 4028-4038.
- Friar, E.A., Prince LM., Roalson E.H., McGlaughlin M.E., Cruse-Sanders J.M., Degroot S.J., and J.M. Porter. 2006. Ecological speciation in the east Maui-endemic Dubautia (Asteraceae) species. Evolution 60: 1777-1792.
- McGlaughlin M, Karoly K, and T. Kaye. 2002. Genetic variation and its relationship to population size in reintroduced populations of pink sand verbena, Abronia umbellata subsp. breviflora (Nyctaginaceae). Conservation Genetics 3: 411-420.
- McGlaughlin, M.E. and K. Helenurm. 2008. Genetic differentiation among perennial Lotus taxa on San Clemente Island. Presentation at the California Islands Symposium, Oxnard, CA.
- McGlaughlin, M.E., L.E. Wallace, and K. Helenurm. 2007. Lineage sorting and the interpretation of phylogeogrpahic patterns in Lotus (Fabaceae) from the California Channel Islands. Presentation at Botanical Society of America Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- McGlaughlin, M.E., M. Brandsrud, and K. Helenurm. 2007. High levels of microsatellite differentiation in adjacent populations of the endangered, insular endemic Sibara filifolia. Presentation at Botanical Society of America Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- McGlaughlin, ME. 2006. Chloroplast capture in Dubautia laxa. University of South Dakota, Department of Biology Seminar Series, Vermillion, SD.
- McGlaughlin, ME. 2005. Adaptive diversification in Dubautia laxa (Asteraceae), a widespread member of the Hawaiian silversword alliance. Presentation at Botanical Society of America Annual Meeting, Austin, TX.
- McGlaughlin, ME. 2004. Patterns of inter-island dispersal in Dubautia laxa (Asteraceae). Claremont Colleges Biology Summer Seminar Series, Claremont, CA.
- McGlaughlin ME, Friar EA. 2004. Biogeography and sub-specific diversification in Dubautia laxa (Asteraceae). Presentation at Society for the Study of Evolution annual meeting.
- McGlaughlin, ME. 2001. Genetic Variability in Reintroduced Populations of Pink Sand Verbena. Presentation at California Botanical Society Annual Meeting, Chico, CA.
- McGlaughlin, ME. 1999. Genetic variability in clonal Oxalis oregana, (Oxalidaceae). Oregon Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting, Salem, OR.