Dr. Seth Frietze, Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor, Northern New Mexico College
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Southern California
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California Davis
- Ph.D.: Harvard University, Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
- B.S.: New Mexico State University, Biochemistry
- B.A.: New Mexico State University, Biochemistry
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (970) 351-3521
- Fax: (970) 351-2335
- Office: Ross Hall 2550
- Office hours: by appointment
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
My research interests center around understanding how proteins and enzymes coordinately regulate gene transcription and how this contributes to development and disease. I am also interested in understanding the mechanisms of cancer therapies function and learning more about what happens when they fail. My lab explores these areas of biology using a combination of molecular, genomic and proteomic approaches, with the ultimate goal of discovering the critical factors that drive tumor progression.
- 2013 DOE VFP fellowship
- 2013 NCGR Pilot Sequencing Award
- 2012 Norris Cancer Center Postdoctoral Fellowship in Oncology
- 2007 NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2000 NSF Predoctoral Fellowship
- Schjerven H, et al., Selective regulation of lymphopoiesis and leukemogenesis by individual zinc fingers of Ikaros. In Press, Nature Immunology, 2013.
- Gerstein M B, et al., Architecture of the human regulatory network derived from ENCODE data. Nature. 2012 Sep 6;489(7414):91-100.
- Frietze S, Wang R, Tak Y, Ye Z, Farnham PJ and Jin VX, Cell type-specific patterns of TCF7L2 binding reveal an association with enhancers and co-localizing transcription factors. Genome Biol. 2012 Sep 5;13(9).
- The ENCODE Project Consortium. An Integrated Encyclopedia of DNA Elements in the Human Genome. Nature. 2012 Sep 6;489(7414):57-74.
- Yusof D, et al. The Transcription Factor Encyclopedia. Genome Biol. 2012 Mar 29;13(3).
- Krig S R, Frietze S, Simion C, Fry WH, Miller JK, Rafidi H, Kotelawala L, Carraway KL III and Sweeney C. Lrig1 contributes to estrogen-mediated repression of ErbB2 – a novel cross-talk between ER-alpha and ErbB2. Mol Cancer Res. 2011 Oct;9(10):1406-17.
- Frietze S, O'Geen H, Jin VX, Farnham PJ. "ZNF274 recruits the histone methyltransferase SETDB1 to the 3' ends of zinc finger genes." PLOS One. Dec; 5(12) 2010.
- O'Geen H, Lin Y, Xu X, Echipare L, Komashko VM, He D, Frietze S, Tanabe O, Shi L, Sartor MA, Engel JD and Farnham PJ. "Genome-wide binding of the orphan nuclear receptor TR4 suggests its general role in fundamental biological processes." BMC Genomics. Dec; 11(1) 2010.
- Krig SR, Miller JK, Frietze S, Beckett LA, Neve RM, Farnham PJ., Yaswen PI, Sweeney CA. "ZNF217, a candidate breast cancer oncogene amplified at 20q13, regulates expression of the ErbB3 receptor tyrosine kinase in breast cancer cells." Oncogene. Oct 7;29(40):5500-10. 2010.
- Frietze S, Meyer Lan X, Jin VX, Farnham PJ. "Genomic Targets of the KRAB and SCAN domain-containing Zinc Finger Protein ZNF263." Journal of Biological Chemistry. Jan 8;285(2):1393-403. 2010.
- Frietze S, Lupien M, Silver PA, Brown M. "CARM1 is a positive regulator of E2F-1 expression in breast cancer cells"Cancer Research. Jan 1:68(1):301-6. 2008.
- Auld KL, Hitchcock AL, Doherty HK, Frietze S, Huang LS, Silver PA. "The conserved ATPase Get3/Arr4 modulates the activity of membrane-associated proteins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae." Genetics, 174, 215-27. 2006.
- Hitchcock AL, Krebber H, Frietze S, Lin A, Latterich M, Silver PA. "The conserved npl4 protein complex mediates proteasome-dependent membrane-bound transcription factor activation." Mol Biol Cell., 10, 3226-41. 2001.
- Frietze S and Farnham PJ, Transcription factor effector domains. Subcell Biochem. 52:261-77, 2011.
- A user's guide to the encyclopedia of DNA elements (ENCODE). ENCODE Project Consortium, Myers RM, et al. PLoS Biol. 2011 Apr;9(4), 2011
- O'Geen H, Frietze S, Farnham PJ. "Using ChIP-seq Technology to Identify Targets of Zinc Finger Transcription Factors." Engineered Zinc Finger Proteins, Methods in Molecular Biology 649, 2010.
- Cell type-specific binding by the Transcription Factor TCF7L2, NMBIS Santa Fe Genome Dynamics Conference
- Divergent roles for different KRAB-ZNF proteins. NHGRI ENCODE-modENCODE Consortia Meeting
- Seth Frietze and Peggy Farnham, Recruitment of KAP1 corepressor by KRAB-ZNFs to silent heterochromatin. Mechanisms of Eukaryotic Gene Expression Symposium. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories
- Seth Frietze and Peggy Farnham, A Genome-Wide Test of the Zinc Finger DNA Binding Code. ENCODE/modENCODE Consortia
- Justin Salazar*, Shanae Roybal*, Ulises Ricoy and Seth Frietze. De novo mapping of the cockroach transcriptome. LS-AMP conference at NMSU, 2012
- Oliver Olivedo* and Justin Salazar*, Characterization of the role of ZNF217 in breast cancer cells using Bioinformatics, Santa Fe Genome Dynamics Conference
- Gladys Rimkus* and Seth Frietze, Developmental role of the transcription factor ZBTB24 in Danio rerio, SACNAS 2013
- Yuri Almeida*, Seth Frietze, Fishing out a role for transcription factors in human disease, SACNAS 2013
* = undergraduate researchers