Dr. Patrick Burns, Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor: Colorado State University
- Postdoc: Clemson University
- Ph.D.: Clemson University
- M.S.: Clemson University
- B.S.: West Virginia University
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (970) 351-2695
- Fax: (970) 351-2335
- Office: Ross Hall 1516
- Office hours: by appointment
- BIO 110 (Principles of Biology)
- BIO 245 (Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology)
- BIO 210 (Cell Biology)
- BIO 355L (Medical Pharmacology Laboratory)
- BIO 450/550 (Cellular Physiology)
- BIO 580 (Mammalian Endocrinology)
Research Interests and Professional Activities
My current research focuses on prostaglandin metabolism in reproductive tissues of mammals. Specifically, I am investigating the use of long-chain omega 3-fatty acids as a way to reduce prostaglandin secretion in uterine and luteal tissues and improve reproductive efficiency.
Academic Awards/Professional Honors
- J. Edward Pexton Teaching/Advising Award. Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University
- Charles N. Shepardson Faculty Teaching Award. College of Agriculture, Colorado State University
- Awards competition paper (2nd place paper). American Society of Animal Science
- Delta Zeta Sorority - Outstanding Professor Award
- Tri Beta Biological Honor Society - Most Dedicated Professor Award
- 2006 Housing & Residence Life Academic Recognition Celebration - Excellence in teaching
Recent extramural research grants
- 2008-2010 -- US Department of Agriculture/NRI ($97,691): "Regulation of Prostaglandin Synthesis in Bovine Luteal Cells".
- 2006 -- Membrane Protective Technologies, Inc., $10,100
- ML Merrill, RP Ansotegui, PD Burns, MD MacNeil, and TW Geary (in press) Effects of flunixin meglumine and transportation on pregnancy establishment in beef cows. Journal of Animal Science.
- KJ Whitman, TE Engle, PD Burns, KL Dorton, JK Ahola, RM Enns, and TL Stanton (2007) Effects of copper and zinc source on performance, carcass characteristics, and lipid metabolism in finishing steers. The Professional Animal Scientist 23:36.
- Ahola, JK, DS Baker, PD Burns, JC Whittier, and TE Engle. Effects of copper, zinc, and manganese source on mineral status, reproduction, immunity, and calf performance in young beef females over a two-year period. The Professional Animal Scientist (2005) 21:305-317.
- Ahola, JK, TE Engle, and PD Burns. Effect of copper status, supplementation, and source on pituitary responsiveness to exogenous gonadotropin-releasing hormone in ovariectomized beef cows. Journal of Animal Science (2005) 83:1812-1823.
- Ahola, JK, LR Sharpe, KL Dorton, PD Burns, TL Stanton, and TE Engle. Effects of lifetime copper, zinc, and manganese supplementation and source on performance, mineral status, immunity, and carcass characteristics of feedlot cattle. The Professional Animal Scientist (2005) 21:297-304.
- Wamsley, NE, PD Burns, TE Engle, and RM Enns. Fish meal supplementation alters uterine prostaglandin F2 synthesis in beef heifers with low luteal-phase progesterone. Journal of Animal Science (2005) 83:1832-1838.
- Walker, RS, PD Burns, JC Whittier, GE Sides, and DD Zalesky. Evaluation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone and insemination time using the CO-synch protocol in beef cows. The Professional Animal Scientist (2005) 21:190-194.
- Walker, RS, PD Burns, TE Engle, GS Sides, and DD Zalesky. Effects of human chorionic gonadotropin administration on artificial insemination pregnancy rates in beef heifers. The Professional Animal Scientist (2005): In Press.
- Ahola, JK, DS Baker, PD Burns, RG Mortimer, RM Enns, JC Whittier, and TE Engle. Effect of trace mineral supplementation and source on reproductive performance, immune response, and calf performance in grazing beef cattle over a two-year period. Journal of Animal Science (2004) 82:2375-2383.
- Meola MG, T Grandin, and PD Burns. Hair whorl patterns on the bovine forehead may be related to breeding soundness measures. Theriogenology (2004) 62:450-457.
- Burns PD, TE Engle, MA Harris, RM Enns, and JC Whittier. Effect of fish meal supplementation on plasma and endometrial fatty acid composition in non-lactating beef cows. Journal of Animal Science (2003) 81:2840-2846.
- Mendes, JOB Jr., PD Burns, JF De La Torre-Sanchez, and GE Seidel, Jr. Effect of heparin on cleavage rates and embryo production with four bovine sperm preparation protocols. Theriogenology (2003) 60:331-340.
- Burns PD, TR Bonnette, TE Engle, and JC Whittier. Case Study: effects of fishmeal supplementation on fertility and plasma -fatty acid profiles in primiparous, lactating beef cows. The Professional Animal Scientist (2002) 18:373-379.
- Burns PD, JOB Mendes Jr., RS Yemm, CM Clay, SE Nelson, SH Hayes, and WJ Silvia. Cellular mechanisms by which oxytocin mediates ovine endometrial prostaglandin F2 synthesis: role of Gi proteins and mitogen-activated protein kinases. Biology of Reproduction (2001) 65:1150-1155.
- Burns PD, GA Graf, SH Hayes, and WJ Silvia. Effect of oxytocin on expression of cytosolic phospholipase A2 mRNA and protein in ovine endometrial tissue in vivo. Domestic Animal Endocrinology (2000) 19:237-246.