What is Bias Motivated Behavior?
Bias motivated behavior includes intentionally or unintentionally directing any harmful or hurtful word or action toward an individual or group based upon actual or perceived identity characteristics including, but not limited to:
- race and/or color
- religion, faith and/or spirituality
- national origin
- sexual orientation
- socio economic status / social class
- marital status
- gender identity and/or expression
- group affiliation
- political affiliation
- cognitive, physical and/or developmental ability
- immigration status
- military and/or veteran status
- size and/or shape
Bias motivated behavior may cause psychological, emotional, spiritual, and/or physical harm not only to those who experience the incident, but also to members of the group to which they belong.