The UNC Assessment Council serves as an advisory body to the Office of Assessment. In this role, it provides recommendations and guidance regarding the assessment of student learning outcomes, faculty and staff development related to assessment, institutional assessment processes, and recognition of best practices and effective assessment models. Specifically, the Council
- Collects and disseminates information regarding best practices for assessing student learning outcomes;
- Identifies faculty and staff professional development needs regarding assessment;
- Recommends appropriate strategies for addressing professional development needs related to assessment;
- Reviews institutional assessment processes and makes recommendations for improvement;
- Identifies programs that demonstrate effective assessment practices; and
- Sponsors recognition activities to showcase and celebrate programs and individuals engaging in effective assessment.
The Assessment Council meets once a month during the academic year (fall and spring semesters).
Assessment Council Membership
The Council is chaired by the Director of Assessment and consists of a faculty representative from each College, the Library, and the Faculty Senate. There is also a representative from each of the Academic Affairs divisions and one dean. Membership on the Council is a three-year term.
- 2015-2016 Representatives
- 2014-2015 Representatives
- 2013-2014 Representatives
- 2012-2013 Representatives
- 2011-2012 Representatives
- 2010-2011 Representatives
The Office of Assessment and the University Assessment Council sponsor an annual assessment mini-grant competition for individuals, programs, and departments to develop or improve assessment practices related to course or program-level student learning outcomes assessment. Each year, approximately ten grants of up to $1500 each are awarded. A call for proposals is posted mid-spring semester, each year. Information about previous grant recipients is available here: Past Assessment Mini-Grant Recipients.
The University Assessment Council sponsors an annual Assessment Fair, which provides a forum for faculty, staff, and students to share research findings and best practices related to assessment.