Incoming UNC Freshmen Scholarship Opportunities
Your application for admission also serves as your application for a number of admissions-based scholarships. To be considered for the scholarships listed on this page, you must complete the UNC admission application by June 15.
More Important Scholarship and Financial Opportunities:
- To be considered for other scholarships you will want to submit the UNC Universal Scholarship (ursa.unco.edu) Application, available on your Ursa account under the “Financial” tab.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the March 1 priority deadline for additional financial aid opportunities.
Note: Students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each semester to qualify for the scholarships listed. The institutional scholarships listed are awarded to students who are working on their first bachelor’s degree program. Students in off-campus cash-funded programs are not eligible for institutional scholarships and should check with the Office of Extended Studies regarding scholarship opportunities. For transfer scholarship eligibility purposes, only transferable credit hours earned after high school graduation will be considered.
Awarded automatically based on the student’s Scholarship Eligibility Index. Students must be admitted by March 1 for priority consideration.
UNC Trustees Scholarship
- Eligibility index of 137 or above
UNC Presidential Scholarship
- Eligibility index of 129 to 136
UNC Provost Freshman Scholarship
- Eligibility index of 112 to 128
UNC Bear Tracks Scholarship
- Eligibility index of 100 to 111
Students are eligible to receive only one of the above scholarships.
The following scholarships and funds are not based on the Scholarship Eligibility Index:
Academic Achievement Scholarship
- Given to semi-finalists for the Boettcher Scholarship or National Merit Award
UNC First Generation Scholarship
- Need-based with limited numbers awarded each year
- Requires completion of the UNC Universal Scholarship Application and FAFSA
UNC Valedictorian Scholarship
- Colorado resident ranked first in high school class (Home schooled not eligible)
Greeley Promise Scholarship
- $2,000/renewable for students who meet satisfactory academic progress as defined by the Office of Financial Aid
- Graduate of a District 6 Greeley / Evans high school or Dayspring Christian Academy
UNC Legacy Scholarship
- $500/not automatically renewed
- Students whose biological or adoptive mother or father graduated from UNC
- Requires completion of the UNC Universal Scholarship Application
Awarded automatically based on the student’s Scholarship Eligibility Index. Students must be admitted by March 1 for priority consideration. Students are eligible to receive only one of the nonresident scholarships. Available only to students from non-western undergraduate exchange states*.
- Eligibility index of 106 or above
- Eligibility index of 96 to 105
* Students who are residents of the western states (AK, AZ, CA, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, ND, OR, SD, UT, WA, WY) are not eligible for the scholarships listed above. They receive a reduced tuition rate through the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE).
UNC participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program. This allows students who are residents of 14 western states to attend UNC at a reduced tuition rate that is 150% of the in-state rate (calculated on total tuition prior to the COF stipend for in-state students.)
The application for admission also serves as your application for WUE, and all admitted WUE students automatically receive the WUE rate.
WUE Admission-Based Scholarships
UNC now automatically awards renewable admission-based merit scholarships for WUE students who qualify based on their Scholarship Eligibility Index. Information on how these scores are determined is available at www.unco.edu/admission/wueindex.pdf. Save even more with these scholarship opportunities:
WUE Presidential Scholarship
- $2,000/renewable for four years
- Eligibility index of 129 or above
WUE Provost Scholarship
- $1,500/renewable for four years
- Eligibility index of 112-128
WUE Bear Tracks Scholarship
- $1,000/renewable for four years
- Eligibility index of 100-111