Academic Advising is a critical aspect of a student's success in college.
All students at UNC have an academic advisor who can assist them during the academic journey to graduation. Advising services in the Office of Academic Support and Advising (ASA) are specialized for students who are exploring major options, or who are on academic probation (having less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA).
ASA staff consists of professional academic advisors who are ready to answer your questions about UNC. We believe in regular, personal, and individualized contact with our students. Academic advisors provide students with the information needed to make decisions about their academic career. Students will receive expert advice, but are ultimately responsible for their progress toward a degree.
ASA Advisors assist students in:
- Understanding the requirements of specific majors at UNC.
- Narrowing down their interests in order to declare a major.
- Understanding academic policies and procedures of the University.
- Learning about academic resources on campus.
- Learning techniques for effective studying, and time management.
- Developing strategies to improve academic success.
- Calculating cumulative GPA based on predicted grades.
- Reviewing mid-semester grades.
- Developing decision making skills.
Watch Videos to Explore UNC Majors
Academic Support and Advising
- Audiology and Speech Language Sciences
Acting and Musical Theater
Sports and Exercise Science
- Theatre Education, Design/Technology and Theater Studies
- Visual Arts
Creating a Major Video
If you are an academic department interested in creating a major video, please contact Jennifer Griffin at Jennifer.Griffin@unco.edu.
Due to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), University staff can provide academic information about a student only to the student themselves. This includes items such as cumulative grade point average, grades, and academic standing. There is however, a great deal of general information that can be shared with the support system of a student. Utilize the links on the academic advising pages to help navigate the academic world of UNC.