Scott Douglas, Ph.D., CAPE
- 2011 Ph.D., The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- 2007 M.Ed., University of Montevallo, Montevallo, AL
- 1986 B.S., The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- 2012 – Assistant Professor, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
- 2011 – 2012 Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX
- 2009 – 2011 Graduate Teaching Assistant, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- 2005 – 2010 President, SD Sport Ventures, Inc., Helena, AL
- 1998 – 2005 Director of Athletics, USOC Olympic & Paralympic Training Site, Homewood, AL
- 1991 – 1998 Head Tennis Professional, Lakeshore Foundation Tennis Center, Homewood, AL
- SES 240 & 241 Secondary Physical Education – Games I & II
- SES 243 Outdoor and Adventure Programming
- SES 335 Principles of Coaching
- SES 338 Teaching Diverse Populations
- EDFE 444/555 Seminar in Student Teaching (PETE)
- SES 642 Instructional Strategies for Secondary Physical Education
Peer Reviewed Publications
Douglas, S. (2013) Wheelchair Basketball: Coaching, Classification and Chaos. Journal of Coaching Education, 6 (2), 175 - 180.
Sindall, P., Lenton, J.P., Malone, L.A., Douglas, S., Cooper, R.A., Hiremath, S., Tolfrey, K., & Goosey-Tolfrey, V.L. (in press). Effect of Low Compression Balls on Wheelchair Tennis Match-play. International Journal of Sports Medicine.
Wheeler, S., Hardin, B. & Douglas, S. (2011). Knowledge Acquisition of a Novice Wheelchair Basketball Coach, Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual, Volume 1.
Douglas, S. & Hardin, B. (accepted with revisions). Case Study of an Expert Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Coach. Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual.
Cottingham, M., Miller, L. Douglas, S., & Hohn, R. (in review). An Examination of the Differences in Consumer Behavior Between Power Wheelchair Soccer and Collegiate Wheelchair Basketball Spectators. Review of Disability Studies.
Douglas, S., Cottingham, M., & Smith, M. (in progress). Paralympic Athletes’ Perceptions of Coaching Quality: The Quest for Gold.
Smith, M., Schneider, J., Douglas, S., & Heiny, R. (in progress). Support Structures and the Needs of College Athletes: Moving Beyond Academic and Athletic Achievement.
Douglas, S., Stran, M. & Vidic, Z. (rejected, in progress for resubmission). Life History of Expert Wheelchair and Standing Basketball Coaches.
Stran, M., Sinelnikov, O. Woodruff, E., Baek, S, Pike, C., & Douglas, S. (in review). Alabama Physical Education Teachers' Intention to Teach Students with Disabilities. Disability Studies Quarterly.
Douglas, S. & Hardin, B. (in press). Case Study of an Expert Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Coach. Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual.
Douglas, S., Cottingham, M. & Smith, M. (2014, February). Paralympic Athletes’ Perceptions of Coaching Quality: The Quest for Gold. Presented at the International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education World Congress, Auckland, New Zealand.
Douglas, S. & Krause, J. (2013, October). Adapt With Apps! Presented at the annual meeting of the Colorado Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Aurora, CO.
Douglas, S. (2013, April). Experiential Learning in an Adapted Physical Activity Setting. Presented at the 4th Annual University of Northern Colorado Teaching & Learning Fair, Greeley, CO.
Douglas, S. (2012, October). 14 Points or Die! Coaching, Classification and Chaos. Presented at the North American Federation of Adapted Physical Activity Conference, Birmingham, AL.
Douglas, S. (2012, July). Life History of Expert Wheelchair and Standing Collegiate Basketball Coaches. Presented at the International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport, Glasgow, Scotland.
Douglas, S. (2011, July). Essential Attributes and Knowledge Acquisition of the Expert Wheelchair Basketball Coach. Poster presented at the International Symposium on Adapted Physical Activity, Paris, France.
Douglas, S. & Stran, M. (2010, March). Community Recreational Programs for Children with Physical Disabilities in America. Presented at the American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
Stran, M., Sinelnikov, O. Woodruff, E., Baek, S, Pike, C., & Douglas, S. (2010, March). Alabama Physical Education Teachers’ Intention to Teach Students with Disabilities. Presented at the American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
Douglas, S. & Fair, Byron (2010, February). Adaptive Recreational Programs for Disabled Youth. Presented at the annual meeting of the Southern Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Myrtle Beach, SC.
Douglas, S., & Wittington, H. (2001, December). Training Elite Athletes with Disabilities. Presented at the annual meeting of the Alabama State Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Birmingham, AL.
Douglas, S. (2010, June). Get Out of Your Own Way. Presented at the Alabama APSE / ACDD Conference, Montgomery, Alabama.
Douglas, S. (2003). Training Opportunities for Paralympic Athletes in the United States. An invited presentation to Elite Sport UK, Loughborough University, England.
Davis, M. & Douglas S. (2002). The Paralympics: The Athletes’ Perspective. An invited presentation and panel discussion with the American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Orlando, Florida.
Douglas, S. (1996). Wheelchair Sports for the Disabled. An invited presentation to the Singapore Sports Council for the Disabled, Singapore.
Affiliations and Related Activities
- Expert Panel, 2013 UAB / Lakeshore Research Collaborative.
- 2102 NAFAPA Conference Scientific Committee.
- U.S. Olympic Committee, Assistant Chef de Mission, U.S. Paralympic Delegation, Athens, Greece, 2004.
- Certified Professional Level 1 Coach, U.S.P.T.A., 1991.
- Three-time member, United States Men’s Paralympic Tennis Team, 1992, 1996, and 2000 Bronze medalist (Sydney, Australia).
- Player-coach and NWBA All-American, 2001 & 2003 National Champions, Lakeshore Storm Wheelchair Basketball Team.
- Recipient, U.S. Congressional Citation for Outstanding Individual Achievement, 1989.
PADI Open Water 1 Scuba Certified, 1992.
Voluntary External Service
- U.S. Paralympics, Men’s National Team Selection Committee, 2004
- National Wheelchair Basketball Association, Tournament Selection Committee, 2000 - 2003
- Rotary International (Keynote Speaker)
- Kiwanis Clubs of America (Keynote Speaker)
- Quickie Tennis Camps (Instructor), 1993 - 2000
- ITF Coaches Symposium, Barcelona, Spain (Instructor), 1998