NHS by the Numbers
Data and information about the College of Natural and Health Sciences
- Natural and Health Sciences (NHS), established through a campus-wide restructuring on July 1, 2005, is one of five academic colleges at the University of Northern Colorado.
- The College is organized into five academic schools: Biological Sciences; Human Sciences; Mathematical Sciences; Nursing; and Sport and Exercise Science, and three departments: Chemistry and Biochemistry; Earth and Atmospheric Sciences; and Physics and Astronomy.
- NHS serves approximately 3,450 undergraduate and 620 graduate student majors in 13 baccalaureate, 14 master’s, and 8 doctoral programs of study.
- The most popular of NHS’s undergraduate majors are Sport and Exercise Science (~630 majors), Biological Sciences (~400 majors), and Nursing (~300 majors). At the graduate level, the most highly-enrolled program areas are in Nursing (~150 majors), Sport and Exercise Science (~140 majors), and Speech-Language Pathology (~75 majors).
- Of UNC’s 2013-2014 graduates, the College accounted for approximately 30% of awarded baccalaureate degrees and 28% of awarded master’s and doctoral degrees.
- Full-time faculty in the College total about 160. Many of NHS’ full-time faculty members are recent additions, with approximately 62% having been appointed since the College’s establishment in July 2005.
- NHS is an important provider of instruction in the University’s Liberal Arts Core as well as courses for its own and other majors, generating about 97,000 student credit hours annually.
- The College’s total state-funded budget is just over $15.25 million.
- Fundraising is an important means of support to the College. In 2012-2013, had 452 donors that committed $598,588 to the college.
- The scholarly endeavors of many NHS faculty members are supported through external grants and contracts. Iin the 2012-13 fiscal year, the College’s awards were $1.12 million in new awards and $2.74 million in total funding awarded.
- The College’s functions are supported by approximately 404,000 square feet of space located in Ross Hall, Gunter Hall, Butler-Hancock, Brown Hall and the Ben Nighthorse Campbell Center.
- Opportunities for student engagement abound in the College, which hosts 21 student clubs and organizations.
- Through Spring 2014, NHS's Student Research Fund has supported the scholarly pursuits of 158 undergraduate and graduate scholars with over $40,000 in funding since its 2006 establishment.