If you’re considering going to graduate school, the McNair Scholars Program can help you get there.
We offer a two-year comprehensive program designed to prepare you for successful entry into, and eventual completion of a doctoral program of study. The McNair Scholars Program prepares students for success in graduate school by offering these benefits:
Year One Program Services:
- McNair Research Seminar (fall and spring semesters, 2 credits each semester) – Enroll in a research methods course taught by McNair staff designed to introduce you to graduate research and support you through your own research process.
- Individual Success Plan – Work with McNair staff to develop a success plan based on your personal, professional, and academic needs to help you achieve you goals.
- Independent Research Project - design and conduct an independent research project on the topic of your choice over the course of the academic year with assistance from McNair staff, a faculty mentor, and additional campus resources.
Curious what kind of research our scholars are doing? See the Current Participants page, and read abstracts of completed research here.
- Faculty Mentor – Select a faculty mentor from your field of interest to help you develop and complete an independent research project on the topic of your choice.
- Financial assistance to support completion of your independent research project.
- Peer-Reviewed Publication – Publish your completed research in the McNair Scholars Edition of the Undergraduate Research Journal at UNC, a faculty-reviewed yearly publication of all McNair projects that meet publication standards.
- Conference Presentations – Present your research at local, regional, and/or national conferences.
- Cultural Events and Celebrations – Attend cultural events designed to introduce you to academic culture and celebrations to recognize your success.
- Summer Research Internship – Participate in a 6-week residential summer internship (room-and-board provided), including visits to local graduate programs.
- Graduate Admissions Exam Preparation – Attend workshops to prepare you for graduate admissions exams.
Year Two Program Services:
- McNair Research Competition – Submit your completed research project to compete for a research scholarship (first place - $1,000, 2nd place - $600, 3rd place - $400).
- McNair Postbaccalaureate Preparation Seminar (fall semester, 1 credit)
- Develop a Graduate Admissions Success Plan – a detailed plan designed to streamline the graduate admissions process, identify appropriate graduate programs, and ensure that you meet all deadlines.
- Receive Curriculum Vita and Graduate Admissions Essay assistance – learn to craft a vita and admissions essay to get the attention of graduate admissions committees and maximize your chance for acceptance into the graduate program of your choice.
- Receive information about financial assistance, networking, and other advice to help you successfully navigate graduate school (and beyond)!
- Financial assistance to support the graduate application process.
- Graduate Admissions Fee Waivers - Become eligible for admissions fee waivers from approximately 175 graduate programs nationwide.