Research Day 2014 - Thursday April 10
Research Day General Information
Research Day welcomes students, both graduate and undergraduate, to present their research in a daylong celebration. All Research Day activities took place at the University Center from 9 AM - 4 PM. Faculty are encouraged to require their classes to attend Research Day as spectators to discover the wide variety of student research taking place on campus. All rooms had sign-in sheets in order for accurate recording of attendance. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Research for more information email@example.com.
Research Day Program
The full Research Day Program, with session times, presenters, and Research Excellence Awards, is now ready in first draft form. All presenter names are indexed in the back for easy use of finding the presentations.
- Updated Research Day Program as of 4.5.14
- Indexed by presenter and faculty sponsor
- Schedule at a Glance
- Full listing of Research Abstracts
Sessions at Research day
Oral Research Sessions
The oral presentations are held in one of the University Center conference rooms (Spruce, Aspen, Columbine or Council room), based on the size of room you request. Oral presentations may be organized for an individual presenter or a panel of presenters. Panels may include a faculty member. Individual presenters must be either undergraduate or graduate students enrolled at UNC. Each presentation is scheduled for 15 minutes with 5 minutes between presentations. You may utilize the time based on your needs, such as 10 minutes for the presentation and 5 minutes for questions. Individuals may also request two back to back sessions giving yourself a total of 35 minutes and instructors may request up to 4 back to back sessions, for a total of 1 hour and 15 minutes, which are primarily for instructors wishing to provide a session for an entire class period. The time slots begin at 9 a.m. and end at 4 p.m. If you are requesting multiple time slots, simply click the appropriate check boxes for those sessions. If the system does not allow a time slot to be selected, then that size room is not available anymore for that time slot. Try to either select a different sized room or a different time selection. E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with any issues you experience.
Posters are displayed in a group poster session. Posters may be displayed for individual research projects, creative projects, applied projects, class projects, group projects, or for faculty-led research with student participation. Poster boards or panels for hanging posters may be available only on a limited, first-come, first-served basis. Providing your own presentation board that can be freestanding is recommended.
There are the three sessions for Poster presentations:
- 10:00 AM - Noon All disciplines
- 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: All Disciplines
- 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM: School of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Research Poster Display
Poster Guidelines and Poster Printing Information
For more information on posters, and information on how to have a large format poster printed for you, go to the MAST Website or check out the Office for Undergraduate Research resources pages at www.unco.edu/our.
Call for Proposals - CLOSED
Submit your Research Day abstract via URSA. Faculty may submit on behalf of their students via the URSA faculty tab, or students may directly upload their research application and abstract via their URSA student tab. Students must list a valid faculty mentor e-mail. If a student has an off campus mentor, they should contact the OUR office prior to uploading their abstract at email@example.com.
All applications must be submitted no later than Thursday, March 13 at Midnight.
Important Information about the Application Process:
The scheduling of rooms for oral presentations will be first come, first served, as the web application will automatically schedule rooms and times. Please submit your application early rather than waiting until the deadline! Research Day was one of many events recognizing academic excellence during Academic Excellence Week, April 8-14, and was coordinated by the Office for Undergraduate Research and the Center for Honors, Scholars and Leadership. The full schedule of AEW activities and additional information on Research Day is available at www.unco.edu/hsl/aew.html.
Requirements for the Application:
Time Slot Selections
- The web based submission will schedule sessions on a first come, first served basis. It is an automatic process as part of the application form.
- You will need to select the time for your presentation when you complete the application. Please have your calendar handy when you submit to make sure you will be available for the time you select. You may not have the option of changing times at a later date, so please be sure of your time selection at the time of application.
- If a particular time slot is no longer available due to the rooms already being full, you will see the time listed, but the check box will be gray and not selectable. Please select another time slot if this happens.
- You have the option of selecting up to four consecutive time slots. Multiple sessions are primarily reserved for those that are presenting as a panel or for full class presentations. Please do not select multiple sessions unless your faculty member has recommended that selection.
- You must have the bear e-mail addresses of all student presenters and the unco.edu e-mail address for your faculty sponsor in order to list them on the application.
- Only the "primary" presenter will receive communication e-mails about Research Day.
- Please check your bear mail account for the email confirmation from Research Day which will be sent the week of March 24th.
- The faculty sponsor may submit the application for the student presenters (using the faculty tab in URSA), in which case the faculty member must have all of the bears e-mail addresses for the student presenters in order to list them on the application.
- Projectors will be available in every room along with a PC laptop. You should bring your presentation on a USB drive to load on the laptop in the room you will be using.
Acceptance into Research Day
All applications that submit suitable research will be accepted into Research Day provided the following:
- The Student is currently registered at UNC in either an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Undergraduate students have a faculty sponsor.
Research Excellence Awards
Students are encouraged to submit their own research proposals for presentation; however, the faculty mentor or a related administrative staff person may also submit the application. Any problems with the submission should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Excellence Awards (REA)
- For complete information about the Research Excellence Awards, please go to the REA page: Click here
- REA accepts finalists in three categories: Humanities/Arts, Natural & Health Sciences, and Social Science/Education/Business. Approximately 3 finalists will be selected in each category for both undergraduates and graduates, posters and oral presentations. .
- For Oral Presentations: Only single sessions (15 minutes) will be permitted into Research Excellence Awards.
- You should check the box for Research Excellence Awards if you would like to be considered for the Awards program. Note that if you are presenting in an oral session and are selected for the Awards program, you will be moved to present in the Council Room, and your time may need to be adjusted. We will contact you by April 2nd if you are accepted into the Research Excellence Awards Program.
- If your oral presentation is selected for the Research Excellence Awards, then your presentation will be rescheduled in the Council Room.
- Poster Presenters may also be asked to reschedule if necessary.
- Faculty are not allowed to present as part of a Research Excellence Award presentation. Teams are allowed, but only the primary contact will receive the award.
- All ten Undergraduate REA finalists will have their abstract printed in UNC's Undergraduate Research Journal published in Summer 2014. By clicking the box to apply for REA, you are giving permission to have your abstract published by UNC.
- Abstracts should include information that is pertinent to a general audience. Please include an opening statement that highlights the significance of your project. Include information in the body of the abstract about research methodology, and preliminary results, if applicable. An overview of what the audience will experience in the presentation or view on the poster may be appropriate.
- An abstract must be submitted at the time of application. The abstract must be no more than 300 words. It is recommended that you compose your abstract in a separate document, then copy and paste it into the form.
- Abstracts should include: the central purpose of the research or project, a brief discussion of research methodology as applicable, and research conclusions either final or anticipated.”
- The title and abstract will be listed exactly as you post them on the application. Please PROOF your title and abstract before submitting.
- Abstracts will be posted in the downloadable version of the program. The printed program will have the titles only.
- Your research will be selected for the awards competition based on the abstract along with the criteria mentioned above.
Research Excellence Awards 2013
Center for Honors, Scholars and Leadership
Campus Box 13
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO 80639-0072
(970) 351-2947 fax